Star Red Carpet Health Insurance
About the Star Red Carpet Health Insurance
Star Health and Allied Insurance Company Ltd is a health insurance company based in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. The organization is popular for providing excellent quality health, personal accident, and overseas travel insurance policies. One of the most popular products provided by Star Health Insurance is its Star Health Red Carpet policy.
Star Health and Allied Insurance Co Ltd provides excellent insurance services through multiple channels, including brokers, agents, online, and offline branches. You can get insurance protection for yourself, your family, or even corporations from this organization.
According to the recent reports, Star Health has underwritten a gross written premium of Rs.5,401 crore during the financial year of 2018 – 2019. It has a net worth of over Rs.1,480 crore as of 31 March 2019. Currently, the company has over 10,600 employees and more than 550 branch offices located all over India.
The Star Health senior citizen red carpet claim settlement ratio has been reported at an amazing 78.62%. The company provides COVID-19 cover, in-house claim settlement, and has a network of more than 9,900 hospitals. The majority of insurance policies also come with lifelong renewability.
Do you know what is red carpet policy by Star Health? If you don’t, then we will enlighten you regarding it in this section. As you might have guessed, the Star Health Senior Citizens Red Carpet health insurance policy is an insurance plan for senior citizens.
The coverage under this policy is provided to people from the ages of 60 years to 75 years. The cover can also be extended throughout the lifetime of the insured. This policy protects the best type of protection for your parents or other older loved ones. No carryover advantage is provided in this plan. And the policy can also be purchased on an individual as well as a family floater basis.
There are several benefits that are provided under this policy to the insured and the policyholder. Some of these benefits are no requirement of pre-insurance medical check-ups, medical consultation as an out-patient, different types of sum insured options, and guaranteed life-time renewal.
Beyond this, policyholders can also choose the policy term to be 1 year, 2 years, or 3 years. This policy provides protection to senior citizens in cases of ailments, sickness, disease, accidents, and injuries.
This plan also provides coverage for pre-existing ailments from the second policy year. Some of the major highlights of this plan are also mentioned below.
- The plan is tailor-made and personalized for all senior citizens between the ages of 60 years and 75 years
- No medical check-ups are required
- After a waiting period of one-year, pre-existing conditions are also covered
- A larger sum insured coverage can also be availed up to Rs.10 lakh
- Tax benefits are also provided on the premium paid according to the current income tax rules
The scope of the cover is also discussed below in the table.
For Individual Plan
Entry Age (For Children)
Entry Age (For Adults)
Number of Members Covered
Total Sum Insured (In INR)
A 10% discount can also be availed of by prospective customers by producing certain documents at the time of purchase or verification of policy. One can also get a discount for selecting a longer policy term. And if you purchase the policy online, then you can get an additional discount of 5%.
There are also some important features and benefits associated with this policy. Let’s look at what those features are by referring to the list given below.
- Day-Care Treatment Charges: The plan provides coverage for all expenses incurred towards different day care procedures. These procedures are done without admitting the patient to the hospital for 24 hours or more.
- Post-Hospitalization Benefit: All expenses related to the hospitalization of patients for up to 60 days after being discharged from the hospital are covered. It should be noted that this policy does not provide cover for pre-hospitalization charges. In the case of packaged treatments, the total post-hospitalization cost would be calculated after considering the room rent limit of up to Rs.4,000.
- Portability Benefit: If the policyholder wishes to transfer the policy to some other insurer, then he or she can do that without losing any benefits. This benefit can be used after finishing the complete waiting period.
- Tax Benefits: Policyholders can get tax benefits for the premium amount that they have paid towards this plan. This feature is provided under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
- Total Sum Insured Enhancement: At the time of policy renewal, policyholders can apply to increase the total sum insured value. To be considered for this request, the policyholder should not have placed any requests for claims made during that year.
- Daily Hospitalization Allowance: A daily cash allowance of up to Rs.1,000 is provided. This allowance is provided for a maximum of up to 14 days.
- Emergency Ambulance Cover: Compensation of up to Rs.600 is provided to the insured in case of each hospitalization. The maximum emergency ambulance cover can be extended to Rs.1,200 per policy year.
- Free look Period Advantage: If an individual decides to not proceed with the policy for any reason, then he or she can return the policy and request a refund within 15 days. These days are counted from the date of receipt of the policy document.
- Room Category and Rent Benefit: The plan comes with a room rent capping feature. A limit of up to 1% of the sum insured amount to a maximum of Rs.4,000 per day in case of normal hospitalization is provided as the room rent. In the case of ICU charges, the limit is extended to a maximum of 2% of the total sum insured value.
- Co-Payment Feature: There are two co-payment clauses in this policy. The first clause is applicable for 50% of claimable expenses in case of pre-existing ailments. The second clause is applicable for 30% of any claimable charges.
- Sub Limit Feature: There are some treatments in this policy that come with an upper limit. These sub-limits are as under:
- In case of cardiovascular diseases, breakage of bones, cerebrovascular accident, or cancer, a sub-limit of up to Rs.75,000 for sum insured of Rs.1 lakh and up to Rs.1.5 lakh for sum insured of Rs.2 lakh
- Depending on the sum insured cover selected, cataract surgery of both eyes can be covered between Rs.15,000 to Rs.25,000 lakh
- For a sum insured value of Rs.1 lakh, renal complications are covered up to Rs.75,000. This value is increased to Rs.1 lakh if the sum insured is Rs.3.5 lakh
- Other major surgeries are covered up to Rs.60,000 for a sum insured cover of Rs.1 lakh. This value is increased to Rs.2.75 lakh for a sum insured cover of Rs.10 lakh
- All costs of diagnostic tests and drugs are covered up to a maximum of 50% of the sum insured value during every hospitalization
- The coverage for fees of the surgeon, doctor, anesthetist, and consultant during every illness is covered. This coverage is up to a maximum of 25% of the sum insured value
- Waiting Period Applicable / Cooling Off Period Feature: A cooling off period of 30 days is applicable for all claims. The only exception to this cooling off period is accidental injury charges.
- Specific Illness Coverage: There are some treatments of diseases that are covered only after finishing 24 months of this policy. These treatments or diseases are Glaucoma, Cataract, Gallbladder Disease, and Pancreatic Disease.
- Pre-Existing Illness Feature: After a period of 12 months from the policy start date, one can place claims for pre-existing illnesses and conditions also. If you wish to purchase this policy, then you should note that the only eligibility criteria for this policy is that the insured should be between 60 years of age to 75 years. This condition should be met at the time of purchase of the said policy.
Some important inclusions applicable to this policy are:
- One can get tax benefits on the total premium amount paid under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act
- One can get the portability feature by applying for the same at least 45 days before the policy renewal date
- Co-payment is valid for both pre-existing and non-pre-existing illnesses
- All day-care procedure charges are covered
- Coverage is provided for hospitalization charges and also ICU charges
There are also some ailments that are excluded from this policy. These are:
- Suffering any illness or injury due to using intoxicating substances like tobacco, alcohol, and drugs
- Treatment for sexually transmitted diseases
- Treatment of venereal diseases
- Attempt to suicide or inflicting self-injury
- Treatments of congenital external conditions, anomalies, or defects
- Illnesses or injuries caused because of nuclear materials or warlike operations
Your requirement for a health insurance policy can change with age and time. This is why Star Health Insurance endeavors to provide you with all and any services and benefits that you might need at your age. All of this is provided at an affordable premium rate.
The Star Health Senior Citizen Red Carpet policy is designed to solve all issues that one might face during old age. This plan provides sum insured options from Rs.1 lakh to Rs.7.5 lakh in case of individual basis. For a family floater basis, the sum insured options ranging from Rs.10 lakh to Rs.25 lakh.
Customers just like you have also bought this policy before and absolutely loved its benefits. If you want to know what those customers have to say, then go through the reviews that are mentioned below.
- Extra Value Benefits, says Preveena Singh (5 stars / 5 stars): I have been using Star Health’s Red-Carpet policies for some months now. And I’m very happy with the extra value-added benefits that are provided with this policy. I have a good amount of sum insured value and I feel secure in regards to my future. 100% satisfied with the services.
- Loving the Cover, says Nilesh Aggarwal (5 stars / 5 stars): I was a bit apprehensive before purchasing this policy as I wasn’t sure how I would handle everything online but all my worries for naught. The customer support department has been an incredible help throughout the process and I have absolutely no regrets about buying this plan. I could not ask for better coverage with this plan.
- Budget Premium with Comprehensive Cover, says Pankaj Mishra (5 stars / 5 stars): I directly contacted the customer service department when I was looking to buy a senior citizen policy. The department was very helpful in guiding me to this policy. The policy premium is within my budget and I also get excellent coverage. I could not have asked for a better policy for my parents.
Star Red Carpet Health Insurance FAQs
Can I avail of tax benefits with my Star Health Senior Citizen Red Carpet Insurance Plan?
Yes, if you are a policyholder of Star Health Senior Citizens Red Carpet insurance policy, then you can get a deduction under Section 80D for the premium amount that you are paying. A deduction of up to Rs.50,000 can be availed of for the premiums paid.
I’m a Star Health Red Carpet policyholder. Can I increase my sum insured benefit?
Yes, you can increase the sum insured value of your Star Health Red Carpet policy. You can apply for the same by contacting the customer service department. Once you get the approval, then you can pay the premium. It should be noted that the waiting periods would be applied fresh to the increased amount policy.
What documents do I have to submit to Star Health Insurance for filing a claim?
You need the following documents to submit a claim for your Star Health Insurance policy:
All hospital reports
Hospital bills in originals
A prescription written by a doctor justifying the admission
Discharge summary provided by the hospital
Any other documents required by the insurer
Through what modes can I buy a Star Health insurance policy?
Policyholders can buy Star Health insurance policies by visiting the official website, contacting the customer service department, or visiting the branch office. Customers can also purchase insurance policies through authorized brokers and agents.