Weight Loss Surgery Advantages and Disadvantages
Divya Kumar is a 25-year-old interior designer from Bengaluru. She weighed 120 kgs at the time of joining her current company. Due to her weight, she suffered from low self-confidence and self-esteem, which reflected in her poor performance on the job. Her school friend, who has known Divya for the past 15 years, suggested she go for weight loss surgery. Since the traditional methods of losing weight were not working for Divya, it seemed like a good alternative for her as well. After discussing the pros and cons of weight loss surgery and discussing weight loss surgery cost with her family, Divya convinced them to agree to the surgery. An appointment with a famous bariatric surgeon was fixed, and after completing the necessary formalities, the surgery was completed. Because of the surgery and the diet plan that was followed after Divya was able to bring down her weight to 80kgs. As a result, she now feels more energetic, confident, and performs well among her peers. All thanks to the medical advancement in the form of weight loss surgeries, in addition to Divya’s willpower and dedicated efforts to reduce her weight.
Obesity is increasingly becoming a significant issue in recent times as a result of sedentary living and poor eating habits. Weight gain is typically triggered when the consumption of calories is higher than the calories spent. In some cases, factors like metabolic issues and genetics can also cause an increase in weight. Obesity can have a profound impact on one’s well-being and living quality. It is linked to chronic illnesses like cancer, heart disease, or type-2 diabetes and can severely impact a person’s mental health.
Losing weight requires a lot of commitment, time, and discipline. The easiest way to lose weight is by following an appropriate diet and regular exercising; however, due to the lack of time or even the desire, many people struggle to get on this route, which brings them to the other option – weight loss surgery. People with rigid belly fat often opt for stomach surgery for weight loss.
Types of Weight-Loss Surgeries
Weight Loss Surgery often referred to as bariatric surgery, is a method to assist patients in losing weight, either by limiting the amount of food they consume or by reducing the absorption of nutrients into their bodies. The fundamental principle of the bariatric procedure is that it alters or creates modifications indigestion, typically in the small intestine or stomach region, to ensure that nutrients and food are not absorbed in a usual manner. The most common types of weight-loss surgeries are as follow:
- Biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch (BPD/DS).
- Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty.
- Gastric bypass (Roux-en-Y)
- Intragastric balloon
- Sleeve gastrectomy
Weight Loss Surgery Cost in India
The treatment for bariatric surgery is very expensive in India, which could range from 2.5 to 5 lakhs. The price varies on a variety of aspects, such as the following:
- The type of surgery you choose
- Fees of the doctor
- Hospital charges
- Consultancy fees
- Medications used
- Post-operation costs
The insurance coverage is provided by certain health insurers, depending on the procedure chosen by the policyholder. However, many insurance companies do accept requests for weight loss procedures if the policyholder is able to prove that the procedure is vital and would help in reducing co-morbidities and life-threatening problems in the future.
Who Can Opt for Weight Loss Surgery?
Surgery to lose weight isn’t suitable for all. The procedure is usually carried out only when a person is possible to meet these requirements:
- The weight of your body is 100 pounds higher than your ideal body weight.
- Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is over 40.
- You have a BMI greater than 35 and at least one medical issue like diabetes, hypertension, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, sleep apnea liver disease, osteoarthritis, digestive conditions, etc.,
- No success in losing weight is seen in dieting and exercising.
Benefits of Weight Loss Surgery
Being overweight is the prime reason for many diseases and conditions within the human body, like depression, obesity fatigue, fatigue, skin problems, heart issues, etc.; Surgery to lose weight can benefit you in these ways:
- Heart health improves: Blood pressure and cholesterol levels are stabilized in the wake of losing weight. This decreases the likelihood of suffering a stroke caused by cardiovascular or coronary heart disease.
- A better life: Many studies reveal that those suffering from obesity usually also suffer from low self-esteem and depression. Following the weight loss surgery, patients feel more confident, active, and healthy with their appearance.
- Longevity: There is a lot of research that links weight loss or obesity to premature deaths of people because of certain comorbidities. Weight loss surgery vastly reduces this risk and significantly increases the lifetime of an individual.
- Relief from joint pain: Excessive weight of an individual can cause joint pain, which could later give rise to osteoarthritis. The weight loss surgery shall bring down the joint pain and assist in pain-free movement.
- Reduces the risk of developing type 2 diabetes: Women who weigh more are more likely to be affected by type 2 diabetes compared to those who have a healthy BMI, research suggests. The procedure to treat obesity could improve the body’s insulin resistance and may, in some cases, provide lasting relief from diabetes type 2.
- It helps to fight infertility: Studies have shown that obesity can reduce fertility levels among both males and females. On the other hand, weight loss can undoubtedly boost the fertility levels of a person.
Effects of Weight Reduction Surgical Procedure
Like any surgical procedure that has an element of risk, bariatric surgery also has certain side effects. The most common side effects that could be a result of the procedure include:
- Oesophagus dilation
- Acid reflux
- Difficulty eating certain foods.
- Risks that are associated with anesthesia
Weight loss surgery is a highly sensible choice for significant weight loss. However, before opting for it, make sure to be aware of all the weight loss surgery cons and what is the safest form of weight loss surgery? Furthermore, with the availability of health insurance and top surgeons, it has become easy for many to choose weight loss surgery. But, having said all these, it is prudent for you to think over the side-effects of these surgeries since they could hamper your health in the long term.