Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY): Check Eligibility, Features and Benefits
Malnutrition is an alarming cause in India that primarily affects the women population of the country. Due to poor financial conditions and social distress many women used to work in the last days of their pregnancy periods. Some even resume their work after childbirth, though their bodies may not recover fully. Thus, the government of India launched Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) (a maternity benefit program) in all districts of the country.
In 2016 on 31st December, the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi announced a special scheme for pregnant women and lactating mothers. This scheme is called the PMMVY scheme which came into effect on 1 January 2017 all over India. After fulfilling certain conditions of Maternal and Child Health, Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers will get an amount of Rs.5, 000 directly into their bank accounts or post office accounts. This amount will be paid in three installments.
Objectives of Matru Vandana Yojana
Some of the objectives of Matru Vandana Yojana are:
- The given cash will help women to recover from their wage loss. Now, they can take adequate rest before and after the childbirth and take care of their health.
- The compensation of the scheme will help pregnant women and lactating mothers (PW and LM) in improving their health-seeking behavior.
Main Highlights of PMMVY Scheme Details
Eligibility: All lactating mothers and pregnant women who are going to give the first child in their families
Payable Amount: Rs. 5000 amount will be paid in three installments
Documents Required for PMMVY Scheme
- Duly filled and signed application form 1A
- A photocopy of the MCP (Mother and Child Protection) card
- A photocopy of Identity Proof
- A photocopy of the passbook of the bank/post office
- A consent duly signed by the applicant and her husband
What are the Benefits of PMMVY Scheme?
We have listed out the top benefits of PMMVY Scheme as mentioned below:-
- The cash amount of Rs. 5000 will be provided in three installments (Rs.1,000, Rs.2,000, and Rs.2,000 respectively). The conditions are different for all installments and the documents that need to be submitted may vary.
- Candidates who are eligible for this scheme may also receive incentives under the Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY). Under this maternity benefit, a woman will get Rs. 6000.
- Pregnant women and lactating mothers who are not employed with companies (private companies, PSUs, state and central government employees) that offer similar benefits
- All pregnant and lactating mothers who got pregnant for their first child on or after 1 January 2017
- The stage and the date of the pregnancy will be considered as per the date mentioned on the Mother and Child Protection (MCP) Card. The date and stage will be calculated based on their last menstrual date.
What Happens in the Case of Miscarriage or Still Birth?
In case of stillbirth or miscarriage, the following conditions will be applied.
- According to the scheme, the beneficiary will receive only one installment
- The beneficiary may claim the remaining installments in any future pregnancy
- If the intended applicant suffers from any miscarriage, then she will only get the first installment. The second and third installments will be provided later during a future pregnancy. But the beneficiary must meet the eligibility criteria to receive the cash benefits.
- If the beneficiary gets a miscarriage or stillbirth after receiving the second installment, then she will claim the third installment in a future pregnancy.
- The scheme is also eligible for lactating and pregnant Accredited Social Health Activist (ASHA)/Anganwadi Helpers (AWHs)/ Anganwadi Worker women (AWW). But they must fulfill the eligibility criteria.
What Happens in the Case of Infant Mortality?
Under this scheme, the beneficiaries will receive the benefits for one time only. In the case of infant mortality and if the beneficiary has received all three installments, then she can’t claim any benefits under the scheme.
How can I get Rs 6000 under PMMVY Scheme?
Each installment has different conditions that need to be fulfilled by the beneficiaries. Check the list of conditions and the documents that are needed for the three installments.
Apart from all mandatory documents, the mother should register her pregnancy in the MCP within 150 days from the LMP.
- Form 1A should be filled utterly
- Photocopy of identity proof
- Passbook of the bank account
- MCP Card copy
The first installment could be Rs.1,000.
- A minimum of one AnteNatal Check Up should be done
- The beneficiary can claim the amount only after 180 days of her pregnancy
Documents that must be submitted
- A completely filled Form 1B
- Copy of the MCP card
That total amount in the second installment will be Rs.2,000
- The beneficiary needs to register the childbirth
- The first cycle of Hepatitis B, Diphtheria, Pertussis, and Tetanus (DPT), Oral Polio Vaccine (OPV), and Bacille Calmette Guerin (BCG) immunisations should be given to the first child
- An individual should submit the Aadhar card details
Documents that are required
- Completely filled Form 1C
- Copy of the birth registration certificate of the child should be given
- Photocopy of Aadhar card
- Photocopy of MCP card
The amount that will be paid in the third installment is Rs.2, 000
How do I register for PMMVY online?
- Visit the website of https://pmmvy-cas.nic.in and log in by using PMMVY software
- Click on the ‘New Beneficiary’ tab to register the scheme and fill all the required fields.
- Again log into the PMMVY CAS software after six months of pregnancy and click on the ‘Second Instalment’ tab and fill the Form 1B
- After the birth of your first child and the completion of his/her first cycle of immunization, click on the ‘Third Instalment’ tab and fill the Form 1C.
Offline Procedure for PMMVY Scheme
- All eligible women should register for the scheme at an Anganwadi Centre (AWC ) or an approved government health center within 150 days of LMP.
- The second installment will be received after 6 months of pregnancy by submitting the duly filled Form 1B at the AWC/approved health facility along with a photocopy of the MCP card mentioning at least one Antenatal Check-up (ANC)
- For the third installment payment, the beneficiary needs to submit the duly filled up Form 1C along with a copy of childbirth registration, ID proof and MCP. The MCP card should contain all the information of the first cycle of immunization of CG, OPV, DPT and Hepatitis B.
To know your PMMVY status, you need to login into PMMVY by using your login credentials. You will get a new page where all the beneficiary status details are mentioned.
PMMVY full form is Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana which is specially designed for pregnant women and lactating mothers. This yojana helps them with a cash allowance which will manage their health in a better way during the lactating and pregnancy period.