Importance of Health Insurance for Asthma Patients
Asthma is a common and chronic respiratory disorder where a person suffers various problems, including breathing difficulty, wheezing, and tight chest. According to WHO, 235 million people worldwide have asthma. One out of ten people in India have asthma, and nearly 100 people are killed by this disease every day. If these people got infected with the COVID-19, their condition would be lethal because they already suffer from breathing difficulties. There, these people should purchase comprehensive health insurance for asthma to help them stay protected against various diseases, including the COVID-19.
If you have asthma, you can minimize your exposure to asthma triggers. Though there is no permanent cure for asthma still, you can control it by taking some preventive measures of asthma.
- Identify asthma triggers such as air pollution, allergies, cold air, smoke, flu virus, fragrances, etc.
- Stay away from allergens. Allergen exposure may enhance the inflammation in your airways, making an attack more likely.
- Avoid smoking because smoking makes asthma worse
- Avoid those who are suffering from cold and flu
- Get your flu shot every year
- Take asthma medications as long-term medicines can prevent symptoms and attacks
- Make your home allergy-proof
- Use a home peak flow meter. A flow meter indicates how well air is circulating through your lungs.
You may use asthma check apps to monitor your health condition.
Why should asthma patients purchase Health Insurance Policies?
Asthma treatment is quite expensive. So, you must purchase a health insurance policy to minimize your out-of-pocket expenses. Here, we mention why health insurance is imperative for asthma patients, especially during this COVID-19 pandemic.
- Expensive Treatment: The asthma treatment will certainly burn your pocket. However, the prices of inhalers and nebulizers are quite expensive. Moreover, you also need to consider the doctor’s consultation fees along with this.
- Pollution and Sedentary Lifestyle: In this fast-paced world, most people are using technologies to accomplish their needs and requirements. So, people are becoming less active and are getting accustomed to the sedentary lifestyle. Moreover, these days, the pollution level increases because of industries, cards, crackers, etc. All these things are bringing drastic effects on most asthma patients and are making their conditions severe.
- Urgent Hospitalization: It is very difficult for an asthma patient to understand what incident or allergy may lead to an asthmatic attack. Thus, very often, they need sudden hospitalization to recover. If you can’t arrange a contingency fund for your hospitalization, then you must opt for a health insurance policy.
- Tests are also expensive: Medical tests for asthma are very costly and will certainly make a hole in your pocket. In addition, you need to perform diagnostic tests for every hospitalization due to asthma.
Factors you need to consider before Purchasing Health Insurance
- Policy Coverage: Since healthcare inflation is rising exponentially every day, you always need to consider the coverage amount because your asthma treatment cost is also increasing. You may not withdraw all your funds while paying medical bills for your asthma treatment. If you have an adequate health insurance plan, you will certainly be covered in the case of an emergency.
- Understand Conditions: Asthma comes with many standardized procedures; thus, your health insurance cover will provide coverage for different conditions linked with it. Before purchasing a health plan for asthma, always consult with your healthcare provider. Don’t make any purchase or commitment without understanding the conditions and interpretations of the disease.
- Lifelong Renewability: Many times, you need to renew your health insurance for asthma annually to enjoy continuity of the plan. Only a few health insurance plans offer lifetime renewability. So, I prefer a health plan that offers lifelong renewability.
- Check Exclusions: Before purchasing a health insurance plan, check its exclusions thoroughly. This will help you to understand what you will get against your plan. This way, you will make a robust decision and will not end up paying for procedures you thought were covered under your purchased health plan.
- Your Age: “How old are you?” is the common question that insurance companies will ask you because your premiums will be calculated based on your Age. Your premium will be on the lower side if you purchase a health policy early. But it will increase with your Age. The experts always recommend purchasing a health policy as early as possible because it may fit within your budget.
- The ratio of Claims: Before buying a health insurance plan, pay attention to the claim settlement ratio of your insurer. Ask your health insurer for providing you with its CSR (claim settlement ratio) over the years. By visiting the website of IRDA, you can also check the claim settlement ratio of your insurance company for different fiscal years. This will help you to understand your chances of a successful claim settlement.
These days, health insurance policies are a prerequisite for people who are suffering from asthma. But, before investing a single penny:
- Consider all points described above.
- Purchase a policy that meets all your healthcare requirements at that time.
- Take advice from your healthcare provider, who will help you select the right insurance policy for your health condition.
- Don’t procrastinate; instead, purchase a health insurance policy that safeguards both your health and hard-end money.