Health Insurance with OPD Cover Benefits Online in India
Did you know 60% to 80% of our healthcare spendings is towards pharmacy bills, medicines, and regular healthcare, not towards hospitalization? Surprised? It is true and backed by research.
Think about it, how many times do you or your family members get hospitalized in a year? Most probably, not a single time. On the contrary, how many times do you incur pharmacy expenditure in a year? Probably a couple of times? Some of you may even be incurring medicine expenses every month – think regular medicines for parents and grandparents or medicines for seasonal flu. All these expenses are paid from your pocket.
What if your out-of-pocket healthcare expenses could be taken care of with the help of insurance? It’s possible with the help of health insurance plans with OPD coverage. Let’s understand all about this knight in shining armor in the form of insurance.
What is OPD Cover?
OPD Cover is Out Patient Department Cover, which means coverage for expenses such as doctor’s consultation fees, pharmacy bills, dental treatments, and health check-ups, and diagnostics tests. Insurance plans that offer coverage for OPD expenses compensate for the above-mentioned expenses.
These expenses are generally not covered by regular health insurance plans. Even though these expenses may seem small compared to hospitalization, over time, they can add up to huge amounts. Health insurance with OPD assures extra protection; however, insurers may have sub-limits to the sum insured towards OPD expenses.
Benefits of Health Insurance with OPD Coverage
- More coverage: it provides coverage against outpatient expenses, which are not covered by all insurance plans.
- More tax benefits: compared to plans that do not offer OPD coverage, these plans provide more tax benefits by claiming tax exemption on the premium paid, as well as there is no tax deductible at source for claims.
- Multiple claims: policyholders can claim reimbursements multiple times, as and when the expenses occur.
- Pharmacy bills reimbursement: a health insurance plan with OPD coverage provides reimbursement towards pharmacy bills, too, which makes it more beneficial for people who incur regular pharmacy expenses.
- Wide range of expenses covered: OPD coverage policies cover expenses of various medical bills, including those for crutches, hearing aid, contact lenses, spectacles, dentures, and more, which are not covered in regular health insurance policies.
- Carry forward feature: some insurance companies allow a fixed percentage of the sum insured to be carried forward in case the cover is not utilized in the policy period.
- Sum insured: under OPD coverage insurance plans, the sum insured is determined based on the age of the insured. In the case of a family floater, the age of the eldest member is taken into consideration.
- Cashless facility: some insurance companies offer OPD coverage under a cashless scheme with additional premium.
|Doctor’s fees, professional fees||Spectacles, contact lenses (some plans)|
|Diagnosis tests, x-rays||Physiotherapy|
|Routine check-up, vaccination||Cosmetic treatment expenses|
|Hearing aid||Vitamins and supplements|
|Crutches, wheelchair||Dietician fees, consultation|
|Dental treatment||BP monitors, thermometers|
|Minor surgeries, dressing|
|Spectacles, contact lenses (some plans)|
Who should buy health insurance with OPD coverage?
Health insurance plans with OPD coverage are beneficial to those who incur regular medical expenses. But, don’t we all?
Health insurance with OPD is a blessing for people who incur regular pharmacy and other healthcare related expenses.
People with chronic illnesses such as sinusitis, arthritis, and diabetes, among others, who regularly need to visit a doctor may find this insurance plan advantageous.
People who have low immunity and are more prone to catching fevers may also benefit from OPD coverage insurance.
The premium for OPD coverage can be a bit higher than the regular plans, hence one should always figure out whether it will be beneficial to buy or not. This can be done by knowing the average healthcare expenses and the estimate of premiums.
Here’s a table that gives a picture of the difference between premiums of health insurance plans with OPD coverage and regular plans of different companies and different age groups.
Considering the benefits of OPD coverage, it can be a savior for those who incur regular healthcare expenses that are not covered by regular insurance plans. In India, OPD cover is a fairly new feature offered by a few insurance companies. Let’s look at some insurers and the plans offered.
Here are a few selected health insurance plans with OPD coverage:
How to buy health insurance with OPD coverage?
Insurers offer OPD coverage as an add-on to regular plans with an additional premium. Different insurance companies may have different ways in which they offer OPD coverage. Hence it is advisable to check with insurance agents or the insurance companies about the best way to include OPD coverage in your insurance plan, the premium and other details.
Are you surprised at how much OPD coverage can relieve you off your healthcare expenditure burden? It may be the right tool for you to help you meet your and your family’s healthcare needs. If you’d like to know about health insurance plans that offer OPD coverage, get started by sharing your query with us.