Health Insurance Policy for Allergies
The increasing incidence of different types of illnesses has also led to a heightened awareness of the need to purchase appropriate health insurance. Directly proportional to this demand is the number of doubts that an individual has over the coverage of medical conditions. Allergies are on top of that list, with a vast number of people being concerned about whether they are covered by existing health insurance plans or not.
People with severe allergic symptoms are often recommended allergy shots as efficient treatment. So, what is the allergy immunotherapy cost in India? Moreover, are allergy shots costly with insurance offered by all the eminent insurance companies?
Let us unveil all about allergy and health insurance plans for allergies if any!
What is an Allergy?
Allergy is a reaction that triggers hypersensitivity of your immune system when the presence of a foreign substance, also known as an allergen, is evident in your body. Research shows that 30 percent of the Indian population suffers from some type of allergy. Young adults and teenagers within the age of 20 and 28 years are typically the most affected, with common allergic reactions such as dust allergy, food allergy, skin allergy, dust allergy, etc. While they are generally benign, in certain cases could become fatal.
Purchasing Health Insurance for Allergies
Some people are unsure whether their health insurance policy will cover allergies or not. Before moving to further, let us first understand how allergies can be classified in the medical field, which are of two types:
- Common Allergies: You might be allergic to dust that causes uncontrolled sneezing or breathing difficulties, or the skin may break out in rashes because of any element found in nature. These allergies are generally common and will not cause death or other serious complications. By taking proper treatment, one can easily fight off the allergy and can get back to normal after a while. If you encounter pollen dust, there is a chance that you’ll experience hay fever symptoms. This is the kind that mimics cold symptoms, which include congestion, runny nose, watery eyes, etc.
- Severe Allergic Reactions: Some allergies cause an anaphylactic reaction, where the immune system is hypersensitive to the component that causes the allergic reaction. Severe allergies often cause anaphylaxis. Its consequences can be life-threatening, such as chest tightness, difficulty breathing and breath, shortness of breath, dizziness, restlessness, dizziness, etc. Such allergies could be life-threatening if timely treatment isn’t provided.
Allergy Treatments in India
The most effective method to combat allergies is by taking preventive action and avoiding the consumption of the allergen. But, in most cases, it is not always feasible, and patients must depend on medication to treat the condition.
However, there is no permanent cure for allergies that will ensure you get rid of your allergy, but you will be able to get through it with ease. Treatment for allergies includes medicines like the following:
- Antihistamines: They can help reduce the symptoms of allergy and block histamine. It would help if you were cautious with this medication since it’s not advised for children.
- Decongestants: If you suffer from dust, hay fever, or pet allergies, decongestants can assist people with those conditions. The drug may provide some relief for a short time.
- Leukotriene Receptor: If your treatment of asthma hasn’t resulted in any improvement, anti-leukotriene could assist you in blocking leukotriene’s effects.
Allergy Shots Cost in India
A doctor might even suggest that you undergo immunotherapy treatment. This could help strengthen the immune system and assist you in developing long-term tolerance. However, the cost of allergy treatments in India will vary according to severity, age, and other factors. Hence, it is advised to get health insurance to cover any extremely high medical bills.
Things to Look at While Buying Health Insurance
Not only can you obtain a policy when you suffer from allergies, but the majority of insurance companies will offer allergy treatment coverage as well. It means that the insurance company will cover the costs of any medical procedures you may need to undergo because of the allergies you suffer from.
One thing to remember is that the health insurance plans generally will cover extreme allergies, i.e., the ones that can lead the insured to the hospital. However, regular allergies – the ones that are not fatal can be controlled with medications and are not covered by health insurance plans.
Therefore, purchasing a health insurance plan becomes more essential if you suffer from severe allergies and if it requires hospitalization since the insurance company shall cover your hospital expenses. In addition, your health plan will also offer coverage for additional hospitalization expenses that aren’t connected to your allergy.
The three crucial things that you need to look at while purchasing a health insurance plan for allergies are:
- Is Allergy Part of Coverage? It is important to evaluate the cost against the benefits provided by the insurer, so you can enjoy the features without having to pay extra for what you need the most. So, if you’re allergic to something or any particular food, check if the coverage is included within the premium or if any extra price is being charged to provide specific coverage.
- Is there a Valid OPD Coverage for an Allergy? Do you have health insurance that covers hospitalization or OPD expenses? Most often, allergies lead to frequent visits to the doctor to consult. So, suppose you have appropriate health insurance, which also provides out-patient or daycare procedure coverage. In that case, your OPD expenses are covered by the insurer, and you’ll be able to manage the finances easily concerning your health.
- Terms and Conditions of the Policy: This is the most crucial part while buying any insurance policy. It is essential to review all conditions, including age limit, coverage value, sub-limits, etc., and any other exclusions that may be part of the policy. Also, if you’re suffering from an allergy, it is essential to determine what allergies are covered and excluded.
Having an allergy must not be a reason to make you ineligible for a health insurance policy. Health insurance providers will offer the coverage you need even if you’re allergic, and it is always best to do your own research before finalizing your desired insurance policy as it helps you to protect against the rising medical and hospitalizations costs.