Get Rid Of Toe nail Fungus – Here’s How
Shamita, aged 25 years, was having severe pain in her right foot thumbnail. Off late, she also noticed some change in the color of her nail and this made her worry more. Her friend advised her to consult a doctor. The doctor then confirmed that it was a toenail fungus infection. Shamita was then advised with some toenail fungus infection treatment to recover from her symptoms.
Toenail fungus is quite common in people of all ages. It is like any other fungus infection that takes place in our body, where the fungus gets an optimum condition to grow and spread. If not treated on time, this fungus infection may spread to other parts of the body too like other toenails, groin area, scalp, and skin between your toes.
Let us understand what causes toenail fungus and which is the best nail fungus treatment?
What is Toenail Fungus Infection?
Toenail fungus infection also known as Onychomycosis or Tinea Unguium is a common fungal infection that affects a person’s toenails or fingernails. It doesn’t occur at once but grows slowly and steadily over some time due to lack of hygiene. Toenail fungus infection is quite common, especially in older people. According to some research, 1 out of 10 people are suffering from toenail fungus infection in one or more nails. This ratio is almost double in people over the age of 70 years.
Who Gets Affected with Toenail Fungus?
Although anyone can get affected with a toenail fungus infection, the chances are more in the following conditions:
- Athlete’s Foot
- Nail Injury
- Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Weak Immunity or Autoimmune Disorder
Common Causes of Toenail Fungus Infection
To figure out an effective toenail fungus treatment, it is important to first understand the common causes of the same. Not just toenail fungus, any kind of fungal infection takes place due to excessive growth of the fungi. When there is an overgrowth of fungi on, inside, or around the nail, it may lead to toenail fungus infection. Besides, if you have come in contact with someone who has a fungal infection, you may contract it from him/her as well. Getting a pedicure or manicure in a salon that uses disinfected tools may also infect you with a toenail fungus infection.
Symptoms of Toenail Fungus
Let us now understand what a toenail fungus infection looks like. If affected with a fungus infection, your toenail may:
- Change Color to Black, Green, or Yellow
- Separate from the Nail Bed
- Break or Crack
- Look Cloudy or Spotty
- Bad Odor from Nails
- Misshapen Appearance of Nails
- Nails may Curl Up
- Nails may Brittle or Crumble
Fungal Nail Infection Treatment
It may look harmless but a fungus infection of the toenail is not that easy to treat. Besides the treatments, one may need to indulge in some self-care remedies too. Some of the best-known nail fungus treatments are:
Initially, the doctor will try to treat your toenail infection using a medication, which is often a combination of topical antifungal therapies and oral medicines. Some popular medications prescribed as nail infection treatment are:
- Oral Antifungal Medicines: Medicines like Sporanox, and Lamisil are prescribed to help the new nail grow without any further fungus infection in place of the infected portion.
- Medicated Nail Creams: Second common medicine prescribed by doctors for toenail infection is a nail cream. They help to thin the nail and are required to rub it onto the infected nail.
- Medicated Nail Polishes: The latest medicine used to treat fungus infection of the nail is a medicated nail polish. Penlac is the antifungal nail polish used as an effective treatment against toenail fungal infection.
2. Surgery: In cases, where none of the above-mentioned medicines are effective in treating a toenail fungus infection, the doctor may suggest surgery to remove the nail permanently or temporarily. This may sound very painful, but it is done under anesthesia, so one doesn’t feel any pain during the surgery.
3. Laser Treatments: Third way of treating toenail fungus infection is by a laser. The doctor will use a high-tech laser beam along with special lights to treat fungus-infected toenails. The laser will, at the same time, help increase the growth of fungus-free new nails to replace the infected part.
Home Remedies for Nail Fungus Treatment
As we mentioned earlier, one may need to use some home remedies too to treat nail fungus infection. Some effective home remedies for toenail fungal infection are:
1. Tea Tree Oil: Full of antifungal and antiseptic properties, tea tree oil works as a powerful solution for the treatment of toenail fungus infection. Just dip a cotton swab in tea tree oil and apply it to the affected nail twice a day.
2. Vicks VapoRub: A recent study revealed that rubbing Vicks VapoRub on the toenail fungus-infected nail offers great relief from the fungal infection.
3. Vinegar: You may also try using vinegar as a home remedy to treat toenail fungus infection. Just soak the infected nail in a mixture of 1:2 parts of vinegar, and water for about 15-20 minutes.
4. Garlic Paste: Apply crushed or chopped garlic on the affected toenail for at least half an hour to see some improvement in your fungus infection.
The Bottom Line
We believe prevention is always better than cure, so try to eliminate the chances of getting affected with a toenail fungus infection. You can do this easily by avoiding walking barefoot and ensuring foot hygiene all the time. Besides, trim your nails regularly, and in case of an accidental clipping consult a doctor for immediate treatment, to prevent the occurrence of toenail infection. Moreover, try not to wear too tight or too loose shoes to keep your nails healthy and free of fungus infection.