How to Whiten Your Teeth Naturally at Home – A Complete Guide
Life is giving you plenty of reasons to smile, but you refrain yourself from smiling in public? Yes, many people often feel shy to smile in public due to stained and yellow teeth. They hesitate to smile because they don’t want anyone to look at their stained teeth. Several reasons may discolor your white teeth and turn them yellow. At the same time, nature has blessed us with many natural ingredients that help in natural teeth whitening too.
So, if you want to restore your lost smile, read on to unveil with us all the secrets of natural teeth whitening. We will enlighten you with some effective home remedies for teeth whitening and also acquaint you with some foods that whiten teeth.
7 Proven Home Remedies for Teeth Whitening at Home
Here are some of the best home remedies for teeth whitening naturally at home as mentioned below:-
- Baking Soda Paste
- Oil Pulling
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Orange and Lemon Peels
- Dietary Changes
- Lifestyle Changes
- Maintain Oral Hygiene
1. Baking Soda Paste
The best natural way of whitening teeth at home is by using a paste of baking soda and water. For this just make a paste using 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 2 to 3 teaspoons of plain water.
Use this mixture to brush your teeth and see the difference in the color of your teeth.
2. Oil Pulling
Another popular method of whitening teeth naturally at home is by oil pulling.
In this method, you need to wash your mouth with certain oil to get rid of stuck debris between the teeth, bacteria, and remove dirt. You can use coconut oil, sesame oil, and sunflower oil for oil pulling teeth whitening technique.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is rich in acetic acid, which helps to kill bad bacteria in the mouth.
Dilute this vinegar with water and use it as a mouthwash to rinse your mouth. Since this vinegar can also erode your teeth’ enamel, so make sure to rinse quite a several times with plain water after using this mouthwash.
4. Orange and Lemon Peels
Our grannies never let us throw away these citrus peels. The reason being, they knew they work wonders in natural teeth whitening.
Just rub the peels of lemons and oranges on your stained teeth and wash with plain water. Within a few days, you will notice a change in your teeth color if you do this regularly for a week or so.
5. Dietary Changes
Besides, you need to make some dietary changes for a natural teeth whitening treatment at home.
Avoid all those foods and beverages that stain teeth, like wine that has tannins, tea, and coffee, that have caffeine, and too much acidic food.
6. Lifestyle Changes
Likewise, if you want to save your teeth from discoloring, make sure to stay away from some harmful addictions like smoking and chewing tobacco products. These smoking and tobacco products are rich in nicotine, which stains your teeth. Besides, cut down on your sugar intake as it also stains your teeth.
7. Maintain Oral Hygiene
Above all, if you want to whiten your teeth, make sure to pay attention to your oral hygiene.
Regular brushing and flossing help minimize the risk of teeth discoloration. Moreover, these oral hygiene practices help prevent gum decay too.
Teeth Whitening Treatment
If you are still not able to reap many benefits in teeth whitening from the above-mentioned natural remedies, try the following options of teeth whitening treatments:
- Teeth Whitening Toothpastes and Mouth Rinses
- Tooth Whitening Kits
- Home Teeth Whitening Strips
- Dental Treatments for Teeth Whitening
5 Best Foods for Teeth Whitening at Home
Since our teeth are located inside our mouth, therefore, whatever we eat plays an important role in discoloring or whitening them. Certain foods can help remove the yellow stains from your teeth. Although they are not as successful and effective as the above-mentioned home remedies for teeth whitening, they are cheap and easily available. So, here is a list of foods that whiten teeth:
- Apples, Carrots, and Celery: All these fruits and vegetables are effective in producing more saliva and therefore act as natural teeth stain cleaners. Moreover, they have properties that help to kill the bacteria leading to bad breath from your mouth.
- Pineapples and Papayas: Pineapples and oranges are tart fruits that help to generate more saliva in the mouth. More saliva means better teeth cleaning. Both these fruits carry enzymes like Papain and Bromelain that help in whitening teeth naturally.
- Strawberries: Strawberries are rich in malic acid, which is an enzyme that can work wonders in whitening your teeth naturally. Just mash some strawberries and rub them on your teeth and leave for a few minutes and rinse with water.
- Dairy Products: High in lactic acid, all the dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt not only help in teeth whitening but also help to prevent teeth decay.
- Sugar-Free Chewing Gum: A smart way of cleaning your teeth and making them shine again as pearls are by chewing sugarless gum. It will help remove all the stains and debris stuck between your teeth.
7 Foods to Avoid for Teeth Whitening
As we mentioned, certain foods can discolor your teeth and enamel. So, here is a list of foods to avoid for teeth whitening:
- Tea and Coffee
- Aerated Beverages
- Dark Fruits like Blueberries and Blackberries
- Rice, Bread, and Pasta
- Fish, Tofu, and Chicken
The Bottom Line
Remember, teeth turn pale with age, lifestyle, and plenty of other reasons. As we grow old, the top-most layer of teeth called the enamel becomes thin and the layer beneath starts peeping out, which is not white but yellowish-brown in color. So, try preserving your teeth’ enamel besides following the home remedies for teeth whitening. Moreover, don’t overdo any of these home remedies, as they may erode your enamel.