Surprising Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar that Change your Life
Apple cider vinegar is not a new name in the field of the health and wellness industry. Over the past few centuries, this item has inscribed its name as a popular home remedy for treating a plethora of health ailments. Apple cider vinegar is also a popular disinfectant and natural preservative. Apple cider vinegar benefits are amazing for your health. Apple cider vinegar comes up with antimicrobial and antioxidant properties.
Drinking Apple Cider Vinegar
Many people used to drink apple cider vinegar itself or use it as an ingredient for salad dressing. Some even take capsules or eat gummies.
How is Apple Cider Vinegar Produced?
Apple cider vinegar is produced by a two-step process.
- First, the manufacturers add yeast to crushed apples. This yeast ferments sugar and produces alcohol.
- Now, bacteria is added for further fermentation. These bacteria ferment the alcohol and convert it into acetic acid.
Acetic acid is the prime component of vinegar, and this adds a strong smell and savour. Several studies have claimed that this acid is responsible for apple cider vinegar’s health benefits. Apple cider vinegar contains 5–6% acetic acid. Raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar owns an ingredient called mother. This mother contains protein strands, enzymes, and friendly bacteria that give a muddy look to the product.
Apple Cider Vinegar Uses
Apple cider vinegar is useful in managing type-2 diabetes. Type-2 diabetes is caused by insulin resistance where your body can’t produce adequate insulin. People who don’t have diabetes can also get benefitted from apple cider vinegar as it reduces their blood sugar levels.
- Several studies have been conducted to establish the benefits of apple cider vinegar for blood sugar and insulin levels.
- A small study has claimed that this product may improve insulin sensitivity by 19–34% if you consume a high carb meal and simultaneously, reduce your blood sugar and insulin response.
- Another small study was performed on 5 healthy people and it is revealed that vinegar reduces blood sugar by 31.4% once you take 50 grams of white bread.
- Another study was revealed that if you take 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before bedtime then it will minimize fasting blood sugar by 4% the following morning.
Apple Cider Vinegar Supports Weight Loss
Apple cider vinegar is a popular weight loss product in the market. Several experts claimed that if you take apple cider vinegar before or with a meal, it will enhance your fullness and help you in losing weight.
A small study was conducted in 2018 on two groups of people over 12 weeks. Both groups consumed fewer calories. One group has also consumed 30 millilitres of apple cider vinegar per day. At the end of the study, it is revealed that people who consumed apple cider vinegar lost more weight. They also lost more visceral fat. This fat is found in the lower organs of your abdomen, and it is related to various heart diseases.
Apple cider vinegar contains three calories per tablespoon and thus, people often consume more apple cider vinegar while planning to lose weight.
Soothes a Sore Throat
Apple cider vinegar is useful in treating sore throats. Apple cider vinegar has antibacterial properties and thus, it kills the bacteria that are responsible for a sore throat. But no clinical evidence is there to support this claim. You can mix the vinegar with water before gargling to get relief from a sore throat. Since the vinegar is acidic, hence you should dilute it properly with water. If you consume it undiluted, then it may aggravate the pain and will make it difficult to swallow.
Acne and Other Skin Problems
There is no clinical evidence to suggest that apple cider vinegar is useful in treating acne. But many people apply a little bit of apple cider vinegar to dry out pimples. But you should dilute it with water before applying it to your face as it may harm your skin if not diluted properly.
People who have varicose veins may use apple cider vinegar to make them less noticeable. Varicose veins are elevated blood vessels that can be painful if not treated. But you must dilute it with water before applying it to your skin.
To get rid of dandruff, many people use apple cider vinegar and water solution onto the scalp. This vinegar removes flakes, itchiness, and irritation. Since this vinegar is acidic, hence it changes the pH of the scalp. This makes it difficult for yeast to thrive. Yeast plays an important role in dandruff.
Apple cider vinegar is also useful in treating a scaly skin condition called seborrheic dermatitis. A study was published in 2017 study in the Galen Medical Journal and it is claimed that apple cider vinegar along with Althaea Officinalis improved the condition in a 32-year-old woman.
Sunburn and Other Skin Injuries
Some people use apple cider vinegar to treat mild sunburns but you should mix it with cool water and spritzed on affected areas to overcome the pain.
Apple cider vinegar comes with strong germ-fighting properties; thus, it prevents various infections caused by sunburn and other skin injuries. But don’t apply apple cider vinegar to severe burns. If you are using apple cider vinegar for strong sunburns, consult your physician.
If you are suffering from mosquito bites, poison ivy, and jellyfish stings, then you may use an apple cider solution to the affected areas to minimize itching and irritation.
Some other uses of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Prevents your pets from getting fleas
- To get rid of warts
- Use as a detergent
- To clean your toothbrush
- Use as a natural deodorant
- To wash fruits and vegetables
- To clean dentures
Apple Cider Vinegar Side Effects
- Since apple cider vinegar is acidic, consuming a lot may damage your teeth, upset your throat, and may cause stomach problems
- Drinking too much apple cider vinegar may slow down your digestion. So, it becomes difficult to control your blood sugar level
- Sometimes, your potassium levels drop too low. Your muscles and nerves may need this nutrient to work properly
- Some medications may not work properly with apple cider vinegar. These include diabetes, heart diseases and diuretics
Apple cider vinegar is safe for your health and it may not hurt you. You can consume it as it contains minimal calories and adds a flavour to your favourite food. Reading about so many Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits, you may consider it as a perfect home remedy for several health problems. But, remember it is not a miracle cure for your ailments/injuries.