Motion Sickness Relief That Works
Geetika is a vibrant 15-year-old girl. She is an intelligent girl who got selected for a scholarship trip to NASA from her school. This was a matter of great joy for Geetika, but she was scared too. She knew that she suffers from motion sickness. Whenever she used to travel long distances, she suffered motion sickness, had nausea, and vomited. She was afraid about how she would fly to NASA for this trip.
There are several people like Geetika who have a problem traveling. They experience cold sweats, nausea, and even vomit when traveling from one place to another. This problem is more common in children. Science has advanced to such an extent that people like Geetika can fulfill their dreams by overcoming such a condition by taking a proper motion sickness treatment.
Let us dig deeper to understand all about motion sickness. In this article, we will also see if there are any effective motion sickness pills to rely upon to deal with this situation?
What is Motion Sickness?
Motion sickness, as the name suggests is a sickness due to some motion. When your brain is not able to sense lots of motions taking place in a car, boat, airplane, or an amusement park ride. Motion sickness can make one feel sick in the stomach and vomit. Seasickness, car sickness, and airsickness are other forms of motion sickness. Children between the age of 2 to 12 are prone to motion sickness.
What Causes Motion Sickness?
Some main reasons that may lead to motion sickness are:
- Family History or Heredity
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Inner Ear Disorders
- Menstrual Periods
- Hormonal Birth Control
Motion Sickness Symptoms
Motion sickness can strike anyone during any motion. Some of the common symptoms of motion sickness are:
- Cold Sweats
- Pale Skin
- Rapid Breathing
- Difficulty to Concentrate
Motion Sickness Treatment
Science has advanced to such a level that almost all disorders have a treatment. Motion sickness can be treated by specially formulated motion sickness medication.
Some of the effective motion sickness treatment options are:
1. Antihistamines: Antihistamines are medicines used widely to treat allergies. They are prescribed by doctors to treat motion sickness. However, choosing the right antihistamines is crucial to experience relief from motion sickness. Antihistamines that will make you feel drowsy will be more effective than non-drowsy ones.
2. Patches: Apart from motion sickness pills, you can try Scopolamine skin patches to prevent motion sickness symptoms like vomiting and nausea. All you need is to stick this patch right behind your ear for at least 3 to 4 hours before traveling. This patch is approved only for adults and can be replaced with a new one after three days. Some of the side effects of this motion sickness patch are that it may cause dry mouth.
Motion Sickness Medication
Listed below are some commonly prescribed Motion sickness pills:
- Cyclizine: Take this motion sickness medicine at least half an hour before traveling. It is by far one of the most effective motion sickness pills, but it is not recommended for children below 6 years of age.
- Dimenhydrinate: Another motion sickness treatment medicine is dimenhydrinate. It can be repeated after a gap of 6 to 8 hours.
- Meclizine: Motion sickness can be treated effectively using meclizine. It should be taken at least 1 hour before traveling. It is not recommended for children under 12 years of age.
- Promethazine: This motion sickness pill should be taken at least 2 hours before traveling. The effect of this medicine lasts for about 6 to 8 hours.
- Scopolamine: This is one of the most commonly prescribed motion sickness medications. It is advised to consume this medicine before the journey.
Ways to Prevent Motion Sickness
Prevention is always better than cure. Why not try preventing motion sickness by the following preventive measures?
- Choose the Right Food: Never go traveling after having a heavy meal. Try to have a low-fat diet before traveling. This will help avoid motion sickness to a great extent.
- Lie Back: Try reclining as much as you can while traveling in a car to avoid motion sickness.
- Roll Down Windows: Try inhaling fresh air by rolling down the windows. Let the fresh air refresh you while traveling in a car.
- Soothing Herbs: Motion sickness can be prevented significantly by breathing in soothing herbs. Try inhaling lavender scene or sucking soothing candies when traveling to avoid motion sickness.
- Apply Pressure on Certain Points: Acupressure can be a great reliever for those suffering from motion sickness. Wear an acupressure wristband to avoid motion sickness.
- Stay Away from Gadgets: Gazing at mobiles, tabs, and laptops while traveling in a car can result in motion sickness. So, keep aside your gadgets to prevent motion sickness.
- Chewing Gum: Another smart trick to avoid motion sickness is chewing gum while traveling. Chewing gum helps to reduce car sickness.
The Bottom Line
Motion sickness is a common issue. 3 out of 10 people suffer from motion sickness. The symptoms of motion sickness usually go on their own once the journey is over. But, in case, you still experience the same symptoms afterward, do consult a doctor. It could not be just motion sickness but some other underlying health issue.
How long does motion sickness last?
Usually, the symptoms of motion sickness last for 4 to 5 hours after the journey is over. Motion sickness is seen more in children, but the symptoms vanish, as they grow and become adults.
How do you stop motion sickness?
Motion sickness can be stopped by taking a motion sickness pill before a journey. Try lying down when you feel sick during the drive. Roll down your windows to breathe fresh air and avoid having a heavy meal before your journey.
What is the best pill for motion sickness?
The best motion sickness pill is dimenhydrinate. It is an antihistamine and may cause dizziness, and drowsiness, and reduce your mental alertness. It should be taken at least an hour before your journey.
Does ginger help in motion sickness?
Yes, ginger is very effective in treating and preventing motion sickness. Some studies have revealed that using ginger helps to treat mild to moderate motion sickness. You can have ginger tea before going on a journey to combat motion sickness.