How to Handle Constipation at Home: Symptoms and Treatments
Arnav couldn’t concentrate on his exams due to a headache and stomach ache. He ended up not being able to write them well, and could not score as much as he had hoped to. He was experiencing these effects due to constipation and decided to consult a doctor.
The doctor told him some tips on some lifestyle changes he could make to improve his health and wellness, as well as some mild medicines. Once he started implementing them, he found that he had immediate constipation relief and far fewer discomforts and pain.
What is Constipation?
Constipation is a highly medical problem that affects around 12% of people all over the world. It can be caused due to a number of reasons like the food you consume, some prevalent medical issues, or general lifestyle choices. Some medicines you are taking for another ailment can also cause constipation.
Constipation is a very tiresome problem, causing you discomfort and mild to severe pain throughout the day. It can affect your mood and body and can cause physical as well as mental health issues.
Your health and wellness are something that you should take care of for a peaceful life. Constipation can appear like a mild problem, but it may have a very obvious impact on your quality of life. There are however certain simple home remedies for constipation that we will discuss in detail that may offer relief for constipation.
Symptoms that you have Constipation
Discomfort, as well as aches and pains, are commonly associated with constipation. You may be experiencing the effects of constipation if you have any of the following symptoms:
- A week with lesser than three bowel motions
- Stool that is firm, dry, or lumpy
- While releasing stools, you may experience difficulties or discomfort, as well as the impression that not all of the stool has gone
- You’re experiencing stomach pains or cramping
- You’re feeling bloated and sick to your stomach
- You are straining your way to the restroom
- You might feel like you have a clog in your rectum
- To go to the restroom, you must place your hand against your stomach
- Hunger decreases
- Lack of energy
Causes of Constipation
As we have mentioned before constipation can be caused due to a number of reasons. They can significantly affect your health and wellness if not addressed. Symptoms include:
- Not drinking enough water
- Eating too many low fiber food items
- Sudden changes in your daily routine
- A lot of stress or pressure
- Consuming a lot of milk or cheese
- Not going to the bathroom when you want to
Constipation can also be caused due to the consumption of certain medications like:
- Allergy medicines
- Iron medicines
- Strong pain killers
You might also find yourself more prone to constipation as you get older. A lot of things in life cannot be avoided, and you may be required to take certain medicines that can cause constipation. However, by practicing some home remedies for constipation, immediate relief can be obtained.
If the problem still persists, you can try consulting a doctor.
How to Handle Constipation at Home
There are many natural remedies for constipation that you can try out right at home. Constipation is something that many people experience, and because of the same, there are many ways to relieve the pain caused by it. Most people experience constipation once in a while, but if it persists for weeks at a time you should definitely see a doctor.
But if your constipation happens once in a while, these home remedies for constipation can provide some immediate constipation relief:
- Drink Coffee – Coffee, especially caffeinated coffee, can help in stimulating the gut and helping you feel better.
- Take Laxatives – Mild or herbal laxatives like senna can give you some quick relief from constipation.
- Drink water – Water can solve most of our problems, and drinking some liquid can make you feel much better.
- Try Ginger tea – You can consider having a cup of ginger tea or simply crush some ginger and mix with water and drink it. Ginger has long since been a digestive helper, as it reduces the pressure on your intestines.
Apart from these natural remedies for constipation, the best way to avoid the same is to make some simple lifestyle changes. These things can also make you improve your health and wellness in general as well.
- Stay hydrated
- Exercise regularly
- Eat a lot of high fiber food items
- Reduce dairy consumption
- Consume prebiotic foods like bananas, onions, garlic, etc.
- Try yoga and meditation
Treatments for Constipation
Apart from home remedies for constipation, there are a number of prescription drugs used to treat constipation, like:
Of course, you should not try taking them without the expert advice of a doctor.
You can try home remedies that can provide relief for constipation, or practice simple modification in your life. In very rare and severe cases, treatments for constipation include measures like surgery.
What is considered too long to be constipated?
If you cannot have bowel movements for 3 days or longer, it is concerning.
Is constipation serious?
Mild constipation is somewhat normal. But if you notice blood in your stool or something similar, it may be dangerous and you should consult a doctor immediately.