10 Reasons To Drink Pomegranate Juice Daily- Nutrition, Health Benefits, And Side Effects
Pomegranate juice is a wonderful option for those who do not wish to consume only leafy vegetables or spinach in their juices. There are multiple pomegranate juice benefits that make it a preferred drink for fitness enthusiasts. Pomegranate juice in itself has more than 100 phytochemicals while the fruit has been used for various medication purposes over centuries. Pomegranate juice has several advantages, right from combating cancer to enhancing fertility and immunity.
Let us unfold the various benefits of pomegranate juice, so read on!
Nutritional Value of Pomegranate Juice
Before getting into the pomegranate juice benefits, here is the pomegranate nutritional value and other components contained in 282 g serving of pomegranate juice:
- Calories- 234
- Protein– 4.7 g
- Carbohydrates- 52 g
- Fat- 3.3 g
- Fibre– 11.3 g
- Sugar– 38.6 g
- Iron– 0.85 mg
- Calcium-28.2 mg
- Phosphorous-102 mg
- Magnesium-33.8 mg
- Vitamin C- 28.8 mg
- Potassium-666 mg
- Folate- 107 mcg
Top Pomegranate Juice Benefits
Here is a list of the biggest pomegranate juice health benefits that you should be aware of:
1. Contains Rich Antioxidants – One of the biggest benefits of drinking pomegranate juice is that your body gets rich and beneficial antioxidants, courtesy its polyphenols (which give the seeds their signature colour). The juice has more antioxidants than many other fruit-based beverages, helping in combating free radicals and preventing cell damage at the same time.
2. Loaded with Beneficial Vitamin C – A single pomegranate, if made into a juice, will offer 40% or more in terms of your daily Vitamin C consumption needs. You should choose fresh juice options in order to get these benefits.
3. Combats Cancer – Researchers believe that the juice may help in combating prostate cancer cell development. At the least, it may help in lowering risks of cancer, if not contributing towards total prevention.
4. Safeguards against Alzheimer’s – Pomegranate juice has rich antioxidants which may help in keeping Alzheimer’s disease away, while safeguarding one’s memory simultaneously.
5. Has Digestive Benefits – Pomegranate juice lowers gut inflammation, thereby enhancing digestive abilities greatly. It may help those with Crohn’s disease and other conditions such as ulcerative colitis and inflammatory bowel disease.
6. Helps Reduce Inflammation – One of the biggest pomegranate juice benefits for men and women is its ability to reduce inflammation with antioxidants.
7. Tackles Arthritis – Pomegranate juice has flavanols which help in lowering inflammatory conditions behind damage to the cartilage and osteoarthritis alike. It may also help with conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis and more.
8. Helps Pregnant Women – There are numerous pomegranate benefits in pregnancy, including combating anemia, improving digestive health and battling free radicals as well.
9. Ensures a Healthier Heart – Pomegranate juice ensures a healthy heart above everything else. It may safeguard the arteries and heart while enhancing overall blood flow and reducing stiffness in the arteries.
10. Keeps Blood Pressure in Check – Pomegranate juice helps in reducing systolic pressure levels. It may help in keeping blood pressure in check.
Side Effects of Pomegranate Juice
Here is a list of possible pomegranate juice side effects upon excessive consumption:
- Breathing trouble in extreme cases
- Runny nose
You should always go for juices with less sugar and added preservatives. Find 100% pomegranate juice with zero added sugar. You should always consult your doctor before drinking pomegranate juice if you are already suffering from diabetes. If you are suffering from diarrhea, avoid drinking this juice and rather use pomegranate extracts instead.
The Bottom Line
Pomegranate juice offers a great option to recharge your batteries, stimulate your taste buds and boost overall wellness simultaneously. It offers varied benefits from better heart and gut health to lower inflammation, cancer protection, and more. You can try consuming pomegranate juice periodically and then witness the benefits over time. It will require a little patience on your part to see long-term progress.
Is it good to drink pomegranate juice every day?
Drinking approximately a couple of ounces of pomegranate juice may help you lower blood pressure and cleanse arterial plaque. It will also enhance cholesterol levels at the same time. This may boost heart health immensely. However, before drinking it every day, consult your doctor if you have diabetes or are on specific medication.
What are the benefits of drinking pomegranate juice?
There are numerous benefits of consuming pomegranate juice. They include better digestion, enhanced health of the heart, cancer-fighting abilities, lower inflammation and more. It also helps in memory preservation, helping stave off diseases like Alzheimer’s.
How much pomegranate juice should I drink a day?
You should always consult your doctor for more information on this aspect. However, as a general rule of thumb, you can have a single cup of pomegranate juice each day. This makes for a healthy option, provided you are drinking 100% pomegranate fruit juice without any added sugar or other harmful components. Unsweetened juice is the solution in this case.
Is pomegranate juice good for your kidneys?
Pomegranate juice may help in improving cholesterol and lipid levels in the body, thereby boosting the health of the heart. It also contains antioxidants in large numbers, thereby lowering cardiovascular ailment risks for those who have kidney diseases already.
Is pomegranate high in sugar?
Pomegranate usually contains 14 grams of sugar for every 100 grams of its quantity. However, you should remember that it also has adequate protein, fibre and Vitamin C to balance things. Do not consume it excessively and stick to moderate amounts regularly.