10 Amazing Health Benefits of Cinnamon (Dalchini)- The Aromatic Spice with Ayurvedic Properties
Cinnamon holds a special place in Ayurveda for its medicinal properties. This aromatic stick is extracted from the inner bark of Cinnamomum trees. Cinnamon is a fragrant stick that adds smell and flavor to your curries and confectionaries. Reading about the various Cinnamon benefits, you will find it hard to resist using it. Cinnamon aka dalchini, as called in Hindi is a stick full of health benefits that can also be used in a powder form for ease.
In this article, you will learn all about the various dalchini uses along with dalchini benefits.
Nutritional Facts of Cinnamon
Before throwing light on the health benefits and cinnamon uses, we want you to know the nutrients present in this Indian spice. Listed below is the nutritional value of dalchini (a teaspoon):
- Calories: 6
- Carbohydrates: 2 g
- Calcium: 26 mg
- Potassium: 11 mg
- Phosphorus: 1.6 mg
- Magnesium: 1.5 mg
- Vitamin A: 0.4 micrograms
10 Incredible Health Benefits of Cinnamon (DalChini)
Have a look at the 10 surprising health benefits of cinnamon as mentioned below:
- Cinnamon Benefits for Weight loss: The ultimate benefit of using cinnamon is for weight loss. One of the prime cinnamon uses around the world is for speeding up the weight loss process. Drinking cinnamon water on an empty stomach early in the morning tends to increase the body’s heat production which helps to burn fat and curb the appetite.
- Cinnamon Benefits for Skin: Second amazing benefit of cinnamon is for your skin. Use cinnamon powder to enhance your complexion and treat acne. Cinnamon is also found effective as an antiseptic and treats eczema and stops the signs of aging.
- May Help Manage PCOS in Females: When talking about the cinnamon powder benefits, we can’t hide the fact that it is an amazing spice for females. Some compounds found in cinnamon help to manage PCOS or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome in females.
- Supernatural Antimicrobial, Antifungal, and Antiviral Properties: One who adds cinnamon to daily food is getting a dose of a miraculous compound that possesses antimicrobial, antifungal, and antiviral properties. All kinds of fungal, bacterial, and fungal infections can be kept at bay with just one stick called cinnamon.
- Rich Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Ayurveda hails for cinnamon benefits to combat inflammation in the body. It plays a vital role in fighting infections due to its anti-inflammatory properties. It helps repair damaged tissues in the body and keeps infections at bay.
- Good for Eyes: Recent studies revealed that cinnamon is also good for your eye health. If used in the right proportion with some other herbs, cinnamon helps to treat some eye disorders. It also helps solve the problem of dry eyes and conjunctivitis.\
- Acts as a Natural Insect Repellent: Another surprising benefit of dalchini or cinnamon is that it helps repel insects with its fragrance. Similar to what Eucalyptus oil does, cinnamon oil helps to repel insects with its strong smell.
- Combats HIV Virus: Cinnamon is found effective in fighting against the HIV virus in the body. Cassia cinnamon variety in particular is found very effective against HIV-1 strain, thereby preventing chances of AIDS infection.
- Lowers LDL or Bad Cholesterol: Use cinnamon in your daily food preparations to keep your bad cholesterol or LDL levels under check. Cinnamon is found to be powerful in increasing HDL or good cholesterol while reducing LDL.
- Good for Diabetics: The list of dalchini benefits doesn’t end here. This fragrant spice is also beneficial for diabetic people. It helps lower blood sugar levels and also manages insulin resistance in the body. Cinnamon is a powerful spice that helps to reduce the glucose amount entering the bloodstream.
Side Effects of Cinnamon (Dalchini)
Cinnamon is a strong spice. If taken in larger amounts it may cause the following side effects:
- It may cause mouth ulcers and sores
- It may damage your liver
- Eating too much cinnamon may put you at a risk of cancer
- Overconsumption of cinnamon may lower your blood sugar levels
- It may cause breathing issues
- Cinnamon may also interact with some medicines you are taking
The Bottom Line
You will get several medicinal herbs and spices in your kitchen. Cinnamon is one of them! Not just to avail of the above-mentioned cinnamon power benefits, you must incorporate this aromatic spice in your dishes to enhance the taste. Many cookies and cakes are baked using this secret ingredient. But, just be a little bit more cautious about the amount of cinnamon you use to avoid the chances of side effects of this strong spice.
Is it good to drink cinnamon every day?
Cinnamon is rich in many plant compounds. You may drink cinnamon every day, but consume it in moderate amounts. Overconsumption of cinnamon may lead to some side effects.
Can cinnamon reduce belly fat?
There are no studies that confirm that cinnamon helps reduce belly fat. But, yes, incorporating this spice in food in a moderate amount helps to speed up the weight loss process.
What are honey and cinnamon good for?
If you consume honey and cinnamon in a proper amount, it will boost your immunity. Your immune system will be stronger and combat various bacterial and viral infections. It is because both honey and cinnamon are rich in antibacterial and antioxidant properties.
Can I drink cinnamon water at night?
Drinking cinnamon water at night before bedtime helps to boost metabolism and immunity. It also helps in relaxing the tired muscles and digestion.
Can I drink cinnamon water on an empty stomach?
As per a general belief, drinking cinnamon water on an empty stomach early in the morning aids in the weight loss process. So, yes, you can drink cinnamon water on an empty stomach.