Chronic And Acute Bronchitis Symptoms – Easy Tips To Identify The Two
Mr. Mehta was diagnosed with a lung infection when he fell sick. But as he was admitted, his condition got worse, and other symptoms developed too. When his medical history was checked, it was seen that he was a daily smoker, and his lungs were severely damaged. The doctor decided to run various tests on him. His conditions got even worse, and it was assumed that he had pneumonia. But later, when the results came, the doctor declared that he had severe bronchitis.
He was then told the reason, which was mainly because he was a daily smoker.
What Is Bronchitis?
Disease bronchitis is a disease caused in the bronchial tubes, the tube that carries air to the lungs. It causes an inflammation or swelling in the lying of the bronchial tubes, the tube that carries air to the lungs. Bronchitis leads to coughing. While your cough, you will observe discoloured mucus. Mucus is a thick discharge that is seen after coughing.
Bronchitis is of two types:
- Acute bronchitis: Acute bronchitis is a form of bronchitis that is not severe and gets healed in a week or takes upto ten days to heal itself. Most of the people suffering from bronchitis often have acute bronchitis.
- Chronic bronchitis: when the inflammation in the bronchial tubes becomes very severe and the patient’s situation is critical, and it is viral bronchitis. This is much more serious. It does not heal in one-two weeks, and it keeps coming back.
What Are The Symptoms Of Acute Bronchitis?
The acute bronchitis symptoms include:
- Congestion in the chest, when you have bronchitis, your chest might feel heavy, and you will experience a blockage.
- Nose blockage: your nose will get blocked because you will experience a cold.
- Cough with mucus discharge.
What Are The Symptoms Of Chronic Bronchitis?
The chronic bronchitis symptoms include:
- Breathing problem: when chronic bronchitis hits in, you will experience shortness of breath too.
- Discoloured mucus discharge.
Treatment For Chronic Bronchitis
Chronic bronchitis treatment includes providing the patient with external oxygen support, taking steroids and oral medications. Also, someone who has chronic bronchitis needs to give up smoking.
Treatment For Acute Bronchitis:
The acute bronchitis treatment includes taking antibiotics and taking precautions at home only. Steam is advised for the patients.
What Are The Causes Of Chronic Bronchitis?
Chronic bronchitis causes breathing in bad air, i.e. air filled with toxins in chemicals mostly found near factories and industrial units.
Breathing in secondhand smoke is also a significant cause.
What Are The Causes Of Acute Bronchitis?
Acute bronchitis is mainly caused by germs that cause flu. Or some bacterial infections are responsible for causing acute bronchitis.
- Wear Masks: Wearing a mask will save you from the disease-causing bacteria of cold and flu. And you will be safe from any disease-causing viruses or fungi. It will protect you and save others in case you are the carrier of the disease.
- Don’t smoke: Smoking can be your biggest enemy. Pneumonia affects people quickly who smoke, so stop smoking.
- Yearly flu vaccine: Take your annual flu vaccine to stay away from any bacterial disease.
Bronchitis is a disease that affects the lungs. So it is crucial to keep your lungs clean and healthy. To do this, make sure you don’t smoke or breathe harmful air. Bronchitis may become a severe threat isn’t treated at the mild stage, and you might end up having COPD, which can destroy your lungs permanently.
And for people who smoke, they should be very much careful and either they should stop smoking or start living a healthy lifestyle, which will help them keep their lungs healthy and clean.
Do consult your doctor if you see any differences in the colour of your cough that is discharged while coughing.