A Guide for Asthma Treatment, Home Remedy & Prevention
Rahul, aged 32, lives in Bengaluru. He came to Delhi to celebrate Diwali with his family residing in one of the world’s most populated cities. As soon as he arrived in Delhi, he felt difficulty in breathing and suffocated. He then consulted the family physician, who after some allergies tests revealed that he is suffering from asthma. It was not that Rahul got asthma as soon as he entered Delhi, he had the disease for a very long time, but the symptoms were not detected by him earlier. It was when he came to a city where asthma triggers affected his lungs, he realized the symptoms. The doctor prescribed him to keep an inhaler as an emergency asthma attack treatment.
So, what is asthma, and is there any sure-shot asthma treatment to get rid of this problem completely?
Let us read about Best Medicine for Asthma and Allergies and how to do Asthma Management?
What is Asthma?
Asthma is a respiratory disease that affects a person’s lungs. What happens in asthma are the airways responsible to pass the air in and out of the lungs get inflamed and narrow. This makes the person suffocate, as he/she feels it hard to breathe due to this congestion in the airways. Symptoms of asthma if mild are often left untreated by people, however, if they worsen, they can lead to a severe asthma attack. So, it is important to chart out proper asthma management to deal with this chronic disease.
What is Asthma Management?
As part of asthma attack treatment, one needs proper asthma management. Following are the vital steps involved for ideal management of this respiratory disease:
- Monitoring the Situation
- Detecting Asthma Triggers
- Avoiding Asthma Triggers
- Use Medication
- Emergency Alternatives
What is Asthma Attack Treatment?
Let us acquaint you with some effective options of an Asthma Treatment:
1. Use Humidifiers: According to AAAAI or the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, problems like asthma can be prevented by sustaining a humidity level of 30-45%. Nothing can be better than a humidifier to maintain this much humidity level in your home. Many people get instant relief by breathing in the air mixed with moisture that is released by humidifiers.
2. Air Filtration Systems: Just like humidifiers, we believe one can control asthma symptoms by installing air filtration systems at home. The quality of the air we breathe is degrading day by day, so using such a system will be an ideal solution. It will help you get only pure and filtered air free of pollen, mould, dust mites, and other allergens that might be acting as asthma triggers for you.
3. Immunotherapy: Another alternative Asthma treatment prescribed by many doctors is immunotherapy, where the patient is given allergy shots. The aim is to change the response of the immune system to gradually make it less sensitive to allergy triggers. For immunotherapy, an asthmatic patient is given injections and this treatment may take place for many years in a row.
What are the Home Remedies for Asthma Management?
Asthma Treatment can be done with simple and effective home remedies. Let us have a look at some of the best home remedies for asthma management at home:
1. Caffeine in the form of Tea or Coffee: The simplest Asthma Treatment that can be done easily at home is with a cup of caffeinated tea or coffee. This may sound strange, but yes, as per some recent surveys, caffeine helps in improving breathing in human beings who are asthma patients. It works quite like the most widely used asthma medicine theophylline to open the airways for up to 4 hours.
2. Pranayama or Breathing Exercises: Nothing is better than doing regular pranayama or controlled breathing to control your asthma symptoms. Many people have experienced a lot of improvement in their asthma symptoms by indulging in slow and controlled breathing exercises through the nose. It will not only help in asthma management but will also leave you stress-free after the session
3. Steam Bathing: Another effective home remedy for asthma is a steam bath. Such a bath will be beneficial to improve chest as well as nasal congestion without any side effects. When an asthma patient takes a steam bath, he/she gets moisture in his/her airways and as a result, feels relief from congestion by getting rid of all the accumulated mucus. The result is clear and obstruction-free breath.
4. Use Essential Oils: A recent study revealed that essential oils like eucalyptus oil have the power to open up the airways. If an asthmatic person inhales eucalyptus essential oil vapours, there are good chances of opening the blocked airways. In a similar study conducted in the year 2014, the same results were found with lavender essential oil. People may consider both these essential oils as the best medicine for asthma and allergies. However, make sure to use pure and quality essential oil, else it may prove harmful for an asthma patient.
What is the Best Medicine for Asthma and Allergies?
When talking about the best medication for asthma, there are two alternatives. One is for quick relief and one for preventing such attacks in the future. The most commonly used medications for an asthma attack treatment are in the form of an inhaler, liquid, shot, and tablet. Let us have a look at some of the most commonly prescribed medicines for asthma treatment:
1. Beta Agonists: The most effective and safe medicine for controlling an asthma attack is beta-agonists or bronchodilators that can relax the muscles to control the airways. The use of bronchodilators allows an asthma patient to breathe easily.
2. Leukotriene Modifiers: Second ideal medicine for asthma is leukotriene modifiers that block the formation of leukotrienes responsible for causing inflammation.
3. Inhaled Corticosteroids: This medication releases natural hormones to block inflammation. However, experts don’t recommend regular use of these corticosteroids owing to their side effects in the long run.
If you are suffering from asthma, don’t take it lightly. It can be fatal if left untreated. So, make sure to get Asthma Treatment before the condition worsens. Watch out for the symptoms and keep inhalers as an emergency treatment. Besides taking medicines, try to adopt a healthy lifestyle including, breathing exercises and yoga for perfect asthma management.