Top-Up Health Insurance
Top-up health insurance plans act as add-on cover or additional protection cover to your current health insurance plans. If your present health insurance policies can’t fulfill all your healthcare expenses, then you must consider these health insurance top-up plans. Nowadays, many general and health insurance companies offer top-up insurance plans at reasonable premiums. If your age is between 18 to 80 years, then you can go for top-up medical insurance. Deductibles play a crucial role in deciding the premium of your top-up medical insurance policy. A deductible is an amount that you need to pay before initiating a health insurance claim. A deductible in the Top-Up Mediclaim policy plan indicates the base health insurance plan owned by the policyholder or the amount he is willing to pay from his savings or group mediclaim health insurance plan.
What is Top-Up Health Insurance?
A top-up health insurance policy plan safeguards you and your family from exorbitant hospital expenses. A top-up plan also lessens your out-of-the-pocket expenses and supports getting quality treatment at a hospital of your choice.
Features of Top-Up Health Insurance Plans
Let’s take a look at the common features of the Mediclaim top-up plan
- You can easily convert health top-up plans into basic health insurance plans
- If the parents are already included under the plan, the children can also be added under the same policy
- No limitation or capping on the hospitalization costs including doctor’s fee, room rent, etc.
- For every claim-free year, you will get a cumulative bonus on the sum insured amount to a specific percentage.
- To understand your top-up Mediclaim policy, you will get a free look period of 15 days from the date of policy purchase
- The policy term can be of 1 year or 2 years (it may vary from one insurance company to another)
- Under top-up insurance plans, you will get lifetime renewability
Benefits of a Top-Up Health Insurance Plan
Some popular benefits of a top-up Health insurance plan are
- Coverage Over and Above Standard Insurance Plan: This is the biggest advantage of a top-up health insurance plan. It gives you a financial backup when your basic policy gets exhausted. Thus, you don’t need to worry about your finances if you have this type of plan.
- Peace of Mind: If your existing policy limit gets exhausted even at the time of claim initiation, you will get coverage for the remaining period without compromising your peace of mind.
- More Coverage at a Reasonable Premium: Top-up plans are quite affordable and will never burn your pocket. You can enjoy more benefits than your basic coverage at lower premium costs. These plans are more suitable for older people as they are more susceptible to getting diseases.
- Helps You to Deal With Rising Healthcare Inflation: The healthcare inflation in India is rising with each passing day. A top-up plan could be the ideal choice to deal with this inflation. This type of plan will reduce your financial burden strikingly.
- Tax Benefits: As per section 80D of the Income Tax Act, you can lessen your tax liability maximum up to Rs. 25,000. If you are above 60 years, then you may enjoy a higher deductible limit, a maximum up to Rs. 50,000.
- Health Cover against Pre-Existing Illness: You can strengthen your standard insurance plan with a top-up health plan that offers coverage for pre-existing diseases. If you have a history of diabetes or hypertension, this could be beneficial for you.
5 Best Top-Up Health Insurance Plans in India for 2022
Here is the list of best top-up health insurance plans as mentioned below:-
1. ManipalCigna Super Top-Up Policy
- Anyone above 91 days, can purchase this policy plan
- The policy offers sum insured options between Rs. 3 Lakh and Rs. 30 Lakh.
- The policy plan offers coverage including in-patient hospitalization expenses, pre-hospitalization, and post-hospitalization expenses, AYUSH treatment expenses, etc.
2. Max Bupa Health Recharge Policy
- This super top-up policy offers coverage between 18 years and 65 years
- The plan reimburses several expenses including ambulance expenses, pre-hospitalization, and post-hospitalization expenses, pharmacy and diagnostic expenses, etc.
3. Star Super Surplus Policy
- This super Surplus policy offers coverage to people between 18 years and 65 years
- The policy covers expenses including organ donor expenses, pre-hospitalization, post-hospitalization expenses, air ambulance expenses, etc.
- The policy comes up with different variants that meet all the requirements of different policy buyers.
4. Royal Sundaram Lifeline Policy
- This plan comes with three variants
- The policy offers coverage for domiciliary hospitalization expenses, AYUSH treatments, emergency domestic hospitalization expenses, etc.
5. Liberty Health Connect Supra Policy
- This policy comes up with variants (top-up policy and super top-up policy) that cover people aged between 91 days and 65 years.
- The policy offers expenses including in-patient hospitalization expenditures, daycare treatment expenses, pre-hospitalization, post-hospitalization expenses, etc.
Top-Up Health Insurance Plans FAQs
What are inclusions under top-up health insurance plans?
Top-up health insurance offers various benefits including,
· Room rent expenses
· Pre-Hospitalization and Post-Hospitalization Expenses
· In-Patient Hospitalization Expenses
· Organ Donor Expenses
· Daycare treatment procedures
· Emergency ambulance expenses
What are exclusions under top-up health insurance plans?
Adventurous sports activities like rock climbing, parasailing, paragliding, etc.
· Intentional injuries
· Cosmetic surgery and obesity treatment
· Treatment for sexually transmitted diseases
When should you go for a top-up health insurance plan?
You can purchase a top-up plan when your hospital bill surpasses the deductible limit.
What are the key factors that you should consider while purchasing a top-up health insurance plan?
· Before purchasing a top-up plan, take a look at premium amounts and compare premiums for various health insurance plans
· Deductibility (every top-up plan comes up with a fixed deductible amount)
· Base policy (purchase a top-up plan from an insurance company that already have some base health plans)
What is the difference between a top-up and a super top-up plan?
A super top-up policy offers coverage for entire hospitalization bills while a top-up policy offers coverage for a single hospitalization.
Subscribe to the newsletter
Top Health Insurance Companies
- Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company
- Care Health Insurance Company
- Go Digit General Insurance Company
- HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company
- ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company
- ManipalCigna Health Insurance Company
- Star Health & Allied Insurance Company
- Bharti AXA General Insurance Company
- Cholamandalam MS General Insurance Company
- IFFCO Tokio General Insurance Company
- Max Bupa Health Insurance Company
- National Insurance Company Limited
- Royal Sundaram General Insurance Company
- Reliance General Insurance Company
- Raheja QBE General Insurance Company
- Oriental Insurance Company
- New India Assurance Company
- TATA AIG General Insurance Company
- Universal Sompo General Insurance Company
- United India Insurance Company
- Aditya Birla Health Insurance Company
- Navi General Insurance Company
Latest Health Insurance Blogs
- What is Stem Cell Therapy Cost in India?
- What Is Radical Hysterectomy: Know Procedure, Side Effects & Cost In India
- How GST Will Impact On Your Health Insurance Premium
- Health Insurance For Young Adults in India
- What Is Restoration Benefit In Health Insurance?
- Ayushman Bharat Yojana Vs Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana: (PMJAY vs PMMVY)
- How to File a Claim with Star Health Insurance
- PMJAY: How to Apply for Ayushman Bharat Golden Card?
- Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY): Check Eligibility, Features and Benefits
- Preventive Health Check-Ups and Income Tax Deductions in India