Star Comprehensive Health Insurance
About the Star Comprehensive Health Insurance
Star Health & Allied Insurance Company Limited is based in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. It is a health insurance company that provides several insurance products and services in the domain of personal accident and overseas travel too.
Star comprehensive insurance policy caters to the needs of every customer. These insurance policies are suitable for individuals, families, corporates, and other larger groups. One can purchase these insurance products through several channels including agents, online, brokers, or by visiting the local branch office.
One of the most popular policies offered by this organization is the Star Comprehensive Mediclaim policy. Currently, the organization also has a large network of over 9,900 hospitals, more than 2.95 lakh agents, and a customer base of over 16.9 crores. They have paid claims worth Rs.12,739 crore and can boast of handling 90% of their cashless claims in less than 2 hours!
Beyond this, the claim settlement ratio reported by Star Health is 78.62%. They provide COVID-19 treatment covers, in-house claim settlement, and policies with lifelong renewability. In this article, we will help you become more familiar with the Star Comprehensive insurance policy details.
The main goal of the Star Comprehensive Health Insurance policy is to lessen the financial strain on policyholders during their time of need. This policy comes in handy during a medical emergency and can insure all family members with zero sub-limits or capping.
In this policy, a single sum insured value can be used to cover all family members. The minimum entry age for this policy is 3 months and the maximum entry age is 65 years. In the case of dependent children, they can be covered, if their parents are insured under this policy too, till 25 years of age.
Star Comprehensive health insurance policy also comes with a lifelong renewal guarantee. The plan is available on both individual and family floater basis. Some benefits provided in this policy are bariatric surgical procedures, second medical opinion, maternity benefit, newborn baby cover, and several day care procedure coverages.
It should be noted that the Star Comprehensive Health insurance is the only policy in the market that provides coverage for bariatric surgery. The policy also provides an additional cover in case of death, permanent disability, or total disability due to accidents.
Let’s now look at the scope of this plan.
For Dependent Children, 3 months
For Adults, 18 years
For Dependent Children, 25 years
For Adults, 65 years
Number of Members Insured
2 Adults and 3 Children
Total Sum Insured
Rs.5 lakh, Rs.7.5 lakh, Rs.10 lakh, Rs.15 lakh, Rs.20 lakh, and Rs.25 lakh
Pre-Policy Medical Check-Up
Required for individuals over the age of 50 years or people who suffer from adverse medical history
No specific discount is available with the purchase of this policy. But you can still contact the Star Health Insurance customer service to know more about discounts on this product. There are also some important features of this policy. All these important features are given below in a list.
- Day-Care Treatments Benefit: A total of 405 daycare treatments are covered under this plan. These treatments that are covered in this plan are mentioned in the main policy document.
- No Claim Bonus (NCB): A bonus of 50% of the basic sum insured value is provided after every claim-free year. This value is provided up to a maximum of 100%. The bonus value can also be reduced by 50% of the sum insured after a claim has been made. It should be noted only the cumulative bonus amount will be reduced after the renewal. This will not have any effect on the basic sum insured value.
- Pre-Hospitalization Benefit: All medical expenses incurred up to 30 days before being admitted to the hospital are covered. These medical expenses should be done on the advice of a medical expert.
- Post-Hospitalization Benefit: All medical expenses incurred up to a maximum of 60 days after being discharged from the hospital will be covered under this benefit.
- Restore Benefit: A restore benefit of up to 100% of the sum insured value is provided to the policyholder. This is provided once every policy year. To avail of this benefit, the entire sum insured including any bonus amount should be exhausted completely. This claim should also be for unrelated ailments for the policyholder or different family members.
- OPD Expense Cover: In this plan, individuals can get cover for outpatient expenses for dental treatment or ophthalmic treatments once every 3 years. This cover is provided up to a maximum of Rs.5,000 or Rs.10,000 depending on the total sum insured value.
A medical consultation fee of up to Rs.1,200, Rs.1,500, Rs.2,100, Rs.2,400, Rs.3,000, or Rs.3,300 can be provided in this plan. A limit of Rs.300 per consultation is applicable. The limit also depends on the total sum insured option selected.
- Daily Hospitalization Allowance: A daily cash benefit of Rs.500, Rs.750, Rs.1000, or Rs.1500 is provided per day for a maximum of 7 days per hospitalization and 120 days per policy period. The exact limit depends on the total sum insured value. The hospitalization should also exceed a minimum of 24 hours.
- Health Check-Up Benefit: In this plan, policyholders can get coverage for expenses related to health check-ups. The value related to the check-up is limited to a maximum of Rs.5,000, Rs.7,500, or Rs.12,000. This exact limit depends on the total sum insured option selected. This benefit is also provided once every 3 claim-free years. The claim-free years should have continuous renewal.
- Home Hospitalization or Domiciliary Hospitalization Benefit: All medical charges incurred due to home hospitalization are covered up to the total sum insured value. To avail of this benefit, the hospitalization should exceed 3 days and it should be based on the advice of a medical expert.
- Emergency Ambulance Benefit: In a few sum insured options, coverage for road ambulance charges is also covered. The maximum limit of the coverage is Rs.2,000 to Rs.5,000. In the case of an air ambulance, the plan covers all charges up to 10% of the total sum insured value if the sum insured is above Rs.5 lakh.
- Eye Cover Feature: All charges related to contact lenses, spectacles, and other outpatient expenses are covered with specific terms and conditions. This coverage is provided up to the limits specified in the policy document.
- Maternity Cover: All expenses incurred on maternity are covered. In this policy, a maximum of two deliveries is covered under this plan with a few sum-limits. In the case of normal delivery, all charges up to Rs.10,000, Rs.20,000, or Rs.25,000 are covered.
In the case of cesarean delivery, all charges up to Rs.15,000 or Rs.40,000 are covered. In both of these cases, the exact amount depends on the sum insured value selected by the policyholder.
If a customer avails of this benefit, then he or she won’t be eligible for the daily cash benefit, pre-hospitalization cover, and post-hospitalization cover. Also, to be able to make a valid claim, the spouse and self should be both covered under this policy.
- Dental Treatment Coverage: Under this plan, coverage for dental treatments is provided. This is applicable in outpatient benefits with terms and conditions that have been specified in the OPD benefit section.
- New Born Child Cover: If a policyholder is covered under the maternity benefit, then that policyholder is also eligible to apply for the newborn child cover. This benefit is provided up to a maximum of Rs.50,000 or Rs.1 lakh, depending on the total sum insured value selected. A separate cover of up to Rs.1,000 is also provided to cover all expenses related to proper vaccination for the child.
- Bariatric Surgery Cover: Charges related to bariatric surgery are covered up to Rs.2.5 lakh for insured individuals who are over the age of 18 years. This benefit also includes coverage for pre-hospitalization and post-hospitalization charges.
- Personal Accident and Disability Cover: An additional cover of up to the total sum insured value is provided in case of death or disability. The casualty should be reported within 60 days from the date of the accident and it should occur within 12 calendar months from the date of the accident.
- Second Medical Opinion Feature: Upon a diagnosis of an ailment, the policy provides a second medical opinion feature. This feature can be used through electronic media after being diagnosed with certain diseases.
- Room Rent or Room Category Feature: In this feature, policyholders can get coverage for single standard AC rooms in case of a normal hospitalization. In the case of ICU hospitalization, the actual charges are reimbursed.
- Co-Payment Feature: A co-payment equal to 10% of the claimable expense is covered in cases where the insured is over the age of 60 years at the time of buying the policy.
- Cooling Off Period: A cooling off period of 30 days is applicable on purchasing the policy for the first year. No claims can be made during this period. The only exception to this rule is in the case of medical expenses caused due to an accident. After renewing the policy, no cooling off period is applicable.
- Specific Illness Waiting Period: The treatment of certain diseases like varicose veins and cataract are covered after a waiting period of 2 years. You can learn about the other diseases by referring to the policy documents.
- Pre-Existing Illness Waiting Period: All covers for pre-existing illnesses are covered after a period of 48 months to 4 years. The exact waiting period is mentioned in the policy documents.
- Maternity Coverage Cooling Off Period: A waiting period of 36 months is applicable before the insured can get coverage for maternity expenses. After the first claim is made, one has to wait a period of 24 months before the second claim can be made.
- Bariatric Surgery Cover Wait: A waiting period of 36 months or 3 years is applicable if one wishes to get a bariatric surgery done.
- OPD Expense Cover Wait: An insured has to wait for a period of 3 years before he or she can get coverage for expenses related to OPD.
The key inclusions applicable in the Star Comprehensive Health insurance are mentioned below.
- A pre-acceptance medical screening is required for individuals over the years of 50 who wish to enroll in this policy
- Pre-hospitalization charges for up to 30 days are covered before hospitalization
- Post-hospitalization expenses for up to 60 days are covered after being discharged from the hospital
- A cover for air ambulance is provided up to 10% of the sum insured for policy variants that have a sum insured of more than Rs.7.5 lakh
- All hospitalization charges, including boarding costs, nursing costs, doctor’s fees, and OT charges, are covered
- Domiciliary hospitalization coverage for medical treatments are provided for a period exceeding a total of three days
Some factors that are not included in this policy are:
- Treatments for any illness or injuries caused due to invasion, war, nuclear weapon, or warlike operations
- Surgeries or dental treatments are not covered that cannot be classified as a medical necessary caused due to accidental injuries
- Charges related to aesthetic procedures, vaccination, or inoculation that cannot be classified as a medically necessary
- Healing procedures like naturopathy treatments are not covered
- Any treatment charges that are incurred during the first 30 days of issuance of the policy
Star Comprehensive Health Insurance is one of the most popular policies provided by Star Health Insurance. This plan provides comprehensive coverage and caters to the needs of almost all customers.
This is an ideal plan for individuals who wish to get rid of their worries related to their health and want exhaustive benefits. The plan is suitable for every age group between the ages of 3 months and 65 years. The sum insured option can also range from Rs.5 lakh to Rs.25 lakh.
The biggest advantage of this insurance policy is that it provides coverage for the entire family. Policyholders who have purchased this policy have also left glowing reviews. Let’s look at some of those reviews below.
- Perfect Online Policy, says Brata Chatterjee (5 stars / 5 stars): I have wanted to buy an online health insurance policy for the longest time. But I couldn’t find a good policy. This changed when I came across the Star Comprehensive health insurance policy. I haven’t yet made a claim but I found the entire purchasing and renewal process quite simple.
- Easy Renewal, says Utpal Young (5 stars / 5 stars): I have been a Star Comprehensive Health insurance policyholder for over a year now. I was trying to renew it online for a few months but I didn’t know how to do it since I’m not very tech-savvy. Thankfully, the Star Health Insurance customer service department has been very helpful. I will be renewing the policy next year too.
- Best Maternity Cover, says Rumela Khan (5 stars / 5 stars): I bought the Star Comprehensive Health Insurance policy a few years ago. And I recently availed of maternity benefit cover. I’m very happy with the services that I have received and I am 100% satisfied with everything.
Latest on Star Comprehensive Health Insurance
Star Comprehensive Health Insurance FAQs
I want to port my Star Comprehensive plan. Can I do that?
Yes, the Star Comprehensive plan is portable. The policy can be ported to another insurer at the time of renewal. An application form would have to be submitted for the same to the company at least 45 days before the renewal date.
Is there any limit applicable to the air ambulance charges cover?
Yes, an air ambulance cost coverage is provided after a sum insured of Rs.7.5 lakh.
If I buy the Star Comprehensive Health Insurance, Can I get tax benefits?
Yes, tax benefits under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, 1961 can be provided to policyholders if they make the premium payment in any other mode than cash.
How much co-payment is available on the Star Comprehensive Health Insurance?
A co-payment of 10% is applicable on each and every claim made by the insured individuals who are over the age of 60 years at the entry of the plan. This is also valid on renewals.