National Mediclaim Health Insurance
About the National Mediclaim Health Insurance
The National Mediclaim Policy is an all-inclusive health insurance policy that covers a wide range of unique benefits. It is offered by the National Insurance Company Ltd which is one of the oldest general insurance companies in India and was first inaugurated in Kolkata, West Bengal on December 5, 1906. It was founded with the motive of fulfilling the nationalist ambitions of Swaraj and after six decades in 1972, it entered a merger with 21 international and 11 Indian companies to give birth to National Insurance Company Ltd.
Their health insurance offering in the form of the National Mediclaim policy provides comprehensive coverage to individuals and their family members. From basic requirements to crucial needs like hospitalization charges for in-patient treatment, daycare procedures, and others are taken care of under the policy to offer financial care to insurers in need.
The policy has an impressive claim-settlement ratio of 83.78% and offers access to health facilities from a network of over 6,000 hospitals. Each of its policies come with lifelong renewability, with the entry and exit age limit of the policy between 18 to 65 years. The National Insurance Mediclaim Health Insurance allows users to insure a sum of Rs.50,000 to Rs.5 lakhs with increments in multiples of Rs.25,000. If one of the parents is covered under this policy, their children as young as 3 months can be included. Over 17 lakhs policies have been sold till date.
- The policy offers cover for hospitalization charges either cash-free or as reimbursement. The cover is valid for expenses incurred due to illness, disease, or injury during the policy tenure.
- The policy has an entry age of 18 and a maximum age limit of 65 years. The sum assured ranges from Rs.50,000 to Rs.5 lakhs.
- Dependent children between the age of 3 months to 18 years can be included in the policy if one of the parents has policy coverage.
- The policy offers a protective cover to the insurers from unexpected medical emergencies by a lot of benefits. These benefits include 30 days pre-hospitalization charges and 60 days post-hospitalization charges.
- Besides the above benefits, the policy covers around 140 outpatient treatments and procedures.
- If no claims are made, the insurers are offered a cumulative bonus of 5% besides other benefits like family bonus, complimentary health check-ups, among others.
1. National Mediclaim Policy This policy covers the hospitalization charges of the insurer incurred during the tenure of the policy. This policy covers the investor, spouse, children (under 18 years of age), parents, and siblings (up to 25 years of age for brothers and till marriage for sister).
2. National Mediclaim Plus Policy: It is a wholesome individual plan that offers total coverage for medical expenditures. The payment of the insured sum can be made in three modes.
- Plan A: It has 9 slabs ranging from Rs.2 lakhs to Rs.10 lakhs with an increment in multiples of 1 lakh.
- Plan B: It has 3 slabs of Rs.15 lakhs, Rs.20 lakhs, and Rs.25 lakhs.
- Plan C: It has 3 slabs that include Rs.30 lakhs, Rs.40 lakhs, and Rs.50 lakhs.
The ambulance charges and the expenses incurred by the insurers who are organ donors are covered under this scheme. It also offers cover to the vaccination charges for children below the age of 12 years.
3. National Parivar Mediclaim Policy
This is a family health insurance plan that covers the medical expenditures of the whole family (insurer, spouse, children under 18 years, and parents).
The policy provides coverage to allopathic, ayurvedic, and homeopathic methods of treatment. Expenses incurred 30 days before hospitalization and 60 days after the discharge are covered by this policy.
The policy provides tax exemptions under section 80D of the Income Tax Act for the paid premiums. The expenses incurred under domiciliary hospitalization are also compensated.
4. National Parivar Mediclaim Plus
This is another wholesome health insurance policy that covers the insurer's entire family (self, parents, children under 18 years, and parents-in-law).
The payment mode for the insured sum is of three types.
- Plan A: This has 5 slabs ranging between Rs.6 lakhs to 10 lakhs with increments in multiples of 1 lakh.
- Plan B: This has 3 slabs of Rs.15 lakhs, Rs.20 lakhs, and Rs.25 lakhs.
- Plan C: This has 3 slabs of Rs.30 lakhs, Rs.40 lakhs, and Rs.50 lakhs.
The policy provides AYUSH cover that compensates for all expenses incurred by ayurvedic, allopathic, and homeopathic treatments. The coverage includes 30 days of pre-hospitalization and 60 days of post-hospitalization charges. The policy can be topped up by paying an additional premium to cover the expenses of diabetes and hypertension treatments.
5. Overseas Mediclaim Business and Holiday
This is a specially designed health insurance plan that covers medical expenses incurred in a foreign country when the insurer travels for work or a holiday.
The policy divides travelers into three categories.
- Business and Holiday
- Work (Employment) and education
- Frequent traveler (corporate)
The policy requires the insurer to pay the first $100 for any claim. It covers the loss or delay in baggage. For insurers above 70 years of age and traveling abroad for more than 2 months, medical reports are mandatory.
6. Overseas Mediclaim Employment and Studies Plan
This is a package plan that compensates for the expenditures incurred while traveling to foreign countries.
The plan covers three categories of travelers:
- Business and Holiday
- Work and Education
- Frequent traveler (corporate)
7. National Critical Illness Policy
The plan is designed to take care of the expenses incurred by the treatment and the subsequent process of recovery associated with illness. It is a unique policy that covers the medical expenses posed by any critical illness that is listed in the policy.
The policy has two different plans.
- Plan A: This plan covers all the medical expenses posed by 11 listed critical illnesses.
- Plan B: This plan covers up to 37 critical illnesses including those covered by Plan A.
8. National Senior Citizen Mediclaim Policy
This plan is tailor-made for elderly people between 60 to 80 years of age. The plan covers medical expenses for allopathic, homeopathic, and ayurvedic treatments. Treatment of sickness or injury during the policy tenure will also be covered under this plan.
This policy has two variations.
- Plan A: This has 10 slabs for payment of insured sum ranging between Rs.1 lakh to Rs.10 lakhs.
- Plan B: This also has 10 slabs ranging between Rs.1 lakh to Rs.10 lakhs with extra features.
9. National Super Top-Up Mediclaim Policy
This plan offers health coverage to the entire family of the insurer with a single insured sum. This is a comprehensive policy with a nominal investment.
This plan offers unique coverage of morbid obesity treatment besides covering 12 other modern treatments.
10. Arogya Sanjeevani Policy
It is an individual health insurance policy that compensates for any medical expenses (treatment of diseases or injury) incurred during the policy tenure.
11. Vidyarthi Mediclaim Policy for students
This is a plan designed specifically to provide coverage to health ailments and accidents for the students. If the guardian of the child expires or is permanently disabled, the plan takes care of the education of the insured child.
12. Corona Kavach Policy
This plan is exclusively developed to help the insurers in meeting the expenses of COVID-19. The plan also covers the expenditures incurred 15 days before hospitalization and 30 days after discharge.
- Coverage for more than 140 daycare or outpatient procedures.
- Charges of boarding, room, and nursing charges within a specific limit are covered.
- Practitioner, specialist, and surgeon fees within the specified limit are covered.
- Treatment of any illness by Ayurveda and Homeopathy is compensated up to 20% of the insured sum.
- Charges for anesthesia, blood transfusion, oxygen support, surgical tools, and operation theatres are covered under applied conditions and limits.
- Any psychiatric disorder or illness, and accidental injuries as a result of drug or alcohol usage will not be covered.
- If the insurer travels violating medical advice, no medical expense will be compensated.
- Any claim raised due to taking part in army, navy, and air force operations remains uncovered.
- No type of spinal cord treatment will be compensated.
- Treatment of HIV, AIDS, STD, and other sexually transmitted diseases is excluded from the plan.
- Pregnancy and related complications, genetic disorders, cosmetic surgeries, etc. are outside the ambit of the coverage of this policy.
The policy has an impressive rating of 4.3/5 based on 67 reviews from the Policy Bazaar. Insurance Dekho has given the policy a rating of 4.7/5. The National Insurance company has achieved a lot of milestones and has been honored with prestigious awards for its Mediclaim policy.
As per customers, the National Mediclaim policy is a "worth it insurance" offering best-in-class experience despite lower premiums. Here are some user reviews:
- Mugdha Patnaik — "I am impressed with this National Insurance policy. It has given me a very good cover for pre and post hospitalization, daycare procedures or surgeries, Ayurvedic & homeopathic treatment, room, boarding and other charges. Also comes the benefit of cumulative bonus of 5% if no claims are reported. It is a policy worth recommending."
- Prem Rai — First of all, this policy is quite comprehensive at such less premium amount. I am covered for hospitalization expenses on cashless/reimbursement basis due to any disease or injury. Other key benefits that I covered for are 5% cumulative bonus in case of no claim, family discount, health check-ups and many others. Good job by national insurance!
Latest on National Mediclaim Health Insurance
National Mediclaim Health Insurance FAQs
What is the age limit for the dependent children in the National Mediclaim policy?
Children between the age of 3 months and 18 years can be included as dependent children if one of the parents have taken this policy coverage.
Does the National Mediclaim policy offer any tax exemption?
The premium amount paid for this policy is given a tax benefit under Income Tax Act Section 80D of 1961 subject to the extant limits from time to time as stated in the Finance Bill.
Are there any extra benefits in the National Insurance Mediclaim policy besides the basic cover?
Besides providing a basic cover, the policy offers the following additional perks.
5% of the sum insured is provided as a cumulative bonus every year if no claims are made and the policy is renewed without any break.
Up to 1% of the average insured sum is offered to cover the expenses of a medical check-up once in 4 years if no claims are made in those 4 years.
What is the process of plan renewal?
The renewal of the National Insurance Mediclaim Policy can be done online in 4 easy steps.
Visit the official website of the company and choose the Quick Renewal option at the top of the page.
Enter the policy number and captcha.
Fill up the details and complete the payment.
The confirmation on renewal will be sent to the registered Email ID.
How to receive claim settlement from the company?
The claim form must be duly filled and submitted with necessary documents to the TPA or the third-party administrator. The claim will be evaluated and if found satisfactory, it will be settled in a few days.